Recipe Suggestions ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zabond

Reaction score
G'day all, I've just been given-1 can COOPERS dark ale,500grm dark malt powder,1kg light malt powder,1kg COOPERS #2 brew inhancer,750 grm dextrose,1 pkt Brew cellar "english ale yeast",as a total newbie any sugestions for a good recipe?[I do like dark english style beers & stouts,if that helps]I've got 2 fermentors and other basic gear but there is no LHBS in my area to buy extra ingrediants,sorry to ask such an open questions but my only experience so far was a nice alco GingerBeer.I can remember from many years ago there was a site where you could put in your ingredients and it would tell you what style of beer would be produced[think it may have been BJ's or somthing]but cant find it now :angry:
thanks Russ

Try the coopers web site for some ideas, I found this one that sounds ok, http://www.coopers.com.au/homebrew/makeBee...d=5&bid=112 If you are willing to give some grain and hops a go I would chuck maybe 300g choc malt and the kilo of LDME, finish off with some fuggles hop pellets, bout 20g. You can get some more supplies mailed to you through the sponsers up the top of this site

+1
There are a few excellent mail order brew shops operating around Australia. Postage for hops, yeast, etc is very affordable, probably cheaper than the petrol you might spend driving to your physical LHBS!

You could try the can of DARK ALE, 500g dark malt, Coopers #2 enhancer and use the english yeast.

To improve things a lot, order some good yeast (try S-04 for english style ales) and perhaps some crystal & choc malt. The malt only needs to be "steeped" for 30mins in 76C water, sieved, boiled for short time and added to the mix.

Choc malt adds a wonderful toffee, nutty flavour to dark ales and stouts... yummy!!

Good luck...

G'day all, I've just been given-1 can COOPERS dark ale,500grm dark malt powder,1kg light malt powder,1kg COOPERS #2 brew inhancer,750 grm dextrose,1 pkt Brew cellar "english ale yeast",as a total newbie any sugestions for a good recipe?[I do like dark english style beers & stouts,if that helps]I've got 2 fermentors and other basic gear but there is no LHBS in my area to buy extra ingrediants,sorry to ask such an open questions but my only experience so far was a nice alco GingerBeer.I can remember from many years ago there was a site where you could put in your ingredients and it would tell you what style of beer would be produced[think it may have been BJ's or somthing]but cant find it now :angry:
thanks Russ

hi, a quantity of roast barley would give you some special flavours.

cheers
alan

thanks Russ

Awesome kit, the Dark Ale is.
From what you've got, I'd say the following:

Coopers Dark
1kg light malt powder (LDME)
500g Dark malt powder (DDME)
English Ale yeast.
Fill to 23litres.

To make things simple for a newbie, follow the instructions under the coopers lid, or read the new to brewing articles on this site.
Leave the dextrose out... that's great for priming. You could use the Brew enhancer in place of the light malt if you want (but the malt's better).
The yeast that's under the tin lid you can use to make bread (or leave for emergencies).

If you can get to a LHBS, grab a teabag of goldings and throw it in the fermenter... yum.
All the best.
Pete

Made up a batch as per "petesbrew" suguested-OG 1.051 pitched at 27* on 26th nov no visual signs[not much bubbler activity-very little krausen?just a slight foam] just checked hyd 1.024 @ 24* so I assume its working,is no krausen? a bad indication?also whats the trick to getting a sample without the water in the bubbler sucking back into the brew[it just happened ,only a few drops got in before I caught it[hope it hasn't wrecked it]when I made up the brew I didn't have any hops but a mate came up yesterday and gave me a teabag of GOLDINGS finishing hops should I open fermentor up and toss it in or wait till I rack into second ferm before kegging?
thank for any help
Russ [total newbie but keen] :rolleyes:

Russ
If the gravity is dropping, its working. Take the airlock out before drawing a sample and put back in when done. With the hops, if you are going to be racking into secondary, put them in then; if not, put them in primary when fermentation is about 3/4 finished.

Back