Recipe Required ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hutcho

Reaction score
Hi,

New brewer here and looking for a recipe for some ingredients I have been given.
I have been brewing from mostly kits for a little while now and just also set up my kegging
system as well.
Now I have the bug i want to progress further to making better beers with the holy grail being the
target !!

What I have been given is -
500grams of each of these
Crystal Grain
Pale Malted grain
Roasted Barley
Chocolate Grain
Dried Dark Malt

What would be a good kit can and mixture of these to make a good beer, obviously i would need to still get some hops and decent yeast.

I haven't boiled grains before but from reading alot here I think i can muddle my way through.
The type of beer is not that important, just good tasting. I generally have been brewing pale ale types but happy to try new ones.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks
Steve

You could make a nice stout or porter with those or you could just use the crystal and make a hoppy pale ale or you could make an american brown or american stout.

It will depend a lot on the hops and yeast you choose.

Whatever you do I'd go for a low-hopped pale tin and build around it with resulting colour from steeping (NOT boiling) grains.

What's the pale, malted grain? Probably needs to be mashed for conversion.

Ok here goes, decided to do a Porter

This is the blurb and shake your heads as you read

Ingredients list
1.5kg Black Rock Dark Malt extract
200g Crystal grain
200g Roasted Barley
200g Chocolate Grain
500g Dried Dark Malt
50g Williamette Hops 4.8%
1 packet dried Muntons Premiuim Gold yeast 6g

Grinded the grains with the wifes stab mixer, sort of turned to a bit of a dust.....
Headed of the to LHBS and asked about making a porter and what yeast, hops would be good and got the above, picked
up a grain bag and thermometer while i was there.
Back to home and boiled up 9L of water in a pot to about 70 degrees, whacked in the grain and let sit and jiggle for about 30 mins.
Added the tin extract and the 500g Dried Dark malt and brought it to a boil
Whacked in half the hops (25g) and boiled away, watching watching watching, didn't want a boil over as the wife was due home soon
About half time whacked in another quarter (12g) of the hops, watching watching, off to keg get a beer rush back.
5 mins till end off boil time the rest off the hops (12g) get ditched in.

Ahhh Yeast, must hydrate yeast so into some boiled cooled water she goes about 35 degrees it was and then whack in
a teaspoon of the dried Dark malt to feed on, that will work...

Take the pot off the boil and into the sink with cold water to cool it down, gets it down to about 35 degrees or so after a while.
Fill the fermenter with about 10L of filtered water.

Checked to OG of the wort and it was about 1076 adjusting for temp
Poured the wort into the fermenter using the grain bag as a sieve on top of a normal sieve, glad i did that that had to stop 3 times to clear the gunk from the bag, anyway all into the fermenter and about 26 degrees, fermenter off to the
shed to cool, great the keg fridge is in here pour another beer (James Squire Amber Ale) not too bad but needs more gas, must up the gas again...
So back to the yeast, its doing ok but not real frothy on top, c'mon guys, too late you are going in.
Yeast pitched in about 24 degrees, thats ok it will cool down overnight i tell myself, damm in the shed again another beer poured.....
Now better get on the net and write your story and make a few people laugh....

Oh after adding the wort to the fermenter the OG reading was down to 1030, I'm thinking not enough fermentables e.g more dried malt would have been good and I was a bit worried about only the one packet of yeast, thought 2 would have been better and wanted to use a Liquid American ALe but they didn't have any!!

Well have a read a good laugh and let me know what i might need to do better next time...
You gotta love first timers

Steve

No need to laugh, It sounds like you went alright. I think you might be off with the OG, a kit into 23 litres should yeild OG of 1035. What size batch to you make?

Paul

No need to laugh, It sounds like you went alright. I think you might be off with the OG, a kit into 23 litres should yeild OG of 1035. What size batch to you make?

Paul

Only topped up to about 21 litres, enough for a keg and a couple long necks, so being even less of a batch it should have been higher I suspect, have i brewed a light porter ?

Obviously I am wrong about the gravity, a kit and KILO comes out about 1035. Punched your recipe into beersmith and comes out 1031, so you are right on. And also right on style for colour and IBU probably be real nice beer

Paul

Ps here is the printout

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Hutcho
Brewer: Hutcho
Asst Brewer:
Style: Brown Porter
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 21.00 L
Boil Size: 9 L
Estimated OG: 1.031 SG
Estimated Color: 53.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 22.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.50 kg Dark Dry Extract (34.5 EBC) Dry Extract 19.23 %
1.50 kg Dark Liquid Extract (34.5 EBC) Extract 57.69 %
0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC) Grain 7.69 %
0.20 kg Chocolate Malt (689.5 EBC) Grain 7.69 %
0.20 kg Roasted Barley (591.0 EBC) Grain 7.69 %
25.00 gm Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 19.6 IBU
12.00 gm Williamette [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
12.00 gm Williamette [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 4.54 kg
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

Notes:
------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously I am wrong about the gravity, a kit and KILO comes out about 1035. Punched your recipe into beersmith and comes out 1031, so you are right on. And also right on style for colour and IBU probably be real nice beer

Paul

Ps here is the printout

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Hutcho
Brewer: Hutcho
Asst Brewer:
Style: Brown Porter
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 21.00 L
Boil Size: 9 L
Estimated OG: 1.031 SG
Estimated Color: 53.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 22.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.50 kg Dark Dry Extract (34.5 EBC) Dry Extract 19.23 %
1.50 kg Dark Liquid Extract (34.5 EBC) Extract 57.69 %
0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC) Grain 7.69 %
0.20 kg Chocolate Malt (689.5 EBC) Grain 7.69 %
0.20 kg Roasted Barley (591.0 EBC) Grain 7.69 %
25.00 gm Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 19.6 IBU
12.00 gm Williamette [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
12.00 gm Williamette [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 4.54 kg
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

Notes:
------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks Paul, starting to feel a bit better about this one now, proof will be in the drinking of course.
Might get onto that beersmith site too, thanks for the link, looks to help take the guesswork out of it

Id be adding another 1/2 kg of malt. But if you leave it, it should be an ok mild'ish type of beer.

Just reporting back and the Porter actually turned out real tasty and has had a few good reports from those that have tried it, you can really taste
the Roasted Barley in it i reckon. Its a bit light on the alcohol (yes could have done with more malt) but is fine as you can drink more and it has a lovely creamy head that hangs around too.
So quite pleased with it, have since done 3 other AG BIAB brews, a Dr Smurto English Ale which i think will be a cracker, a wheat beer and an American Pale Ale.

Now just need to purchase some more kegs to keep up, love brew days :)

Hutcho

Latest posts

Back