Recipe Ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrumpy

Reaction score
Im keen to put a beer down this week end but am all out of ideas on what to make.....

I've got a heap of vienna and pilsner malt I want to start using plus spec malts (Munich, crystals,carapils melanoiden....), also a good selection of eng,american hops on hand my only real limitation is my yeast situation , I have 3 30ml vials of 1318 London Ale III.

So has anybody got any ideas on a beer using vienna and/or pils malt as a base with london ale III ?

cheers

Scrumpy

Pils malt is a pale malt. Vienna malt is a toasty, biscuity, nutty malt*. Crystals work well in a variety of styles. You have English and US hops and an english yeast.

Therefore I would start with an ESB or (english) IPA using pale, crystal and english hops to make a well bittered, well flavoured and dry hopped ale. London III is great for that.

Meanwhile buy some US05, use the same grain bill and IBU but replace Eng hops with US hops and brew again.

Two good recipes, two different styles.

London III is a good top cropper so reserve some krausen in a sanitary vessel for later.

*I would normally use biscuit in an English and reserve Vienna for German style beers but I see Vienna as a reasonable sub for biscuit.

your quick tonight manticle!

An english IPA was actually on the cards, I've also got loads of marris but I really wanted to start using the pils and vienna, would the pils give me a good substitute for the marris in an IPA recipe??

something like

1.050 OG
60% pils
20% vienna
10% crystal

challenger bittering

EKG flavour/Aroma

Pils malt is a pale malt. Vienna malt is a toasty, biscuity, nutty malt*. Crystals work well in a variety of styles. You have English and US hops and an english yeast.

Therefore I would start with an ESB or (english) IPA using pale, crystal and english hops to make a well bittered, well flavoured and dry hopped ale. London III is great for that.

Meanwhile buy some US05, use the same grain bill and IBU but replace Eng hops with US hops and brew again.

Two good recipes, two different styles.

London III is a good top cropper so reserve some krausen in a sanitary vessel for later.

*I would normally use biscuit in an English and reserve Vienna for German style beers but I see Vienna as a reasonable sub for biscuit.

Do 50/50. Marris definitely brings something to a british ale. I've made good ones with ale and pilsner malt for sure but generally if I had the malt I would go MO for at least a portion of the grist.

If you have it either use some or at least brew the same recip but once with pils and once with MO to see the difference for yourself.

Reason I'm quick is avoidance of the 12,000 words I haven't written that are purportedly due in a week

Under pub section. What are you brewing III
Plenty to keep u going.
English Porter. U should have everything I need even if it's a ******* porter. Or use a Vienna lager grain bill and London ale yeast.
How do u run out if ideas? I've got more on my brew list than I'll ever get through.

Do 50/50. Marris definitely brings something to a british ale. I've made good ones with ale and pilsner malt for sure but generally if I had the malt I would go MO for at least a portion of the grist.

If you have it either use some or at least brew the same recip but once with pils and once with MO to see the difference for yourself.

Reason I'm quick is avoidance of the 12,000 words I haven't written that are purportedly due in a week

That was me last week up till 3.30am getting last presentation and assessment piece ready.

Under pub section. What are you brewing III
Plenty to keep u going.
English Porter. U should have everything I need even if it's a ******* porter. Or use a Vienna lager grain bill and London ale yeast.
How do u run out if ideas? I've got more on my brew list than I'll ever get through.

Not really outa ideas just a little unsure of myself in recipe formulation :unsure:

Not really outa ideas just a little unsure of myself in recipe formulation :unsure:
Just have a crack. You'll be fine. Unless u **** up major it will be drinkable at worse case scenario. Best case scenario it turns out great. On the iPhone so I'm not going to find u a Vienna larger recipe but u could search it google one and you'll see you've got all the right stuff. Or for an English porter.

heres a recipe i pinched from Wardy. Its a top drop. using this as a base you should be able to bastardise a few things (like yeast) and still knock out a top beer

Wardy's Vienna Lager

A ProMash Recipe Report
BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

09-B German Amber Lager, Vienna Lager

Min OG: 1.046 Max OG: 1.052
Min IBU: 18 Max IBU: 30
Min Clr: 8 Max Clr: 12 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
Batch Size (L): 21.00 Wort Size (L): 21.00
Total Grain (kg): 5.05
Anticipated OG: 1.056 Plato: 13.71
Anticipated SRM: 10.1
Anticipated IBU: 21.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
49.5 2.50 kg. Vienna Malt Germany 1.037 3
49.5 2.50 kg. Pilsner Australia 1.037 1
1.0 0.05 kg. Carafa Special Germany 1.030 600

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
10.00 g. Magnum Pellet 14.40 21.9 60 min.

Extras
Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.05 Oz Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
DCL Yeast S-23 SafLager W. Euro Lager
could use somethin like 34/70

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Single Step
Saccharification Rest Temp : 66 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 75 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 80 Time: 10