Recipe conversion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muz

Reaction score
Hi,

Just looking for some advice on converting an American recipe:

Malt
Pale Malt - 2 Row 4989.5 g
Vienna Malt 453.6 g
Caramel Malt (20L) 285.8 g
Melanoiden Malt 226.8 g
Munich Malt 226.8 g
CaraPils 240.4 g

hops
75min (start) Citra 28.3 g
15min Citra 28.3 g
5min Citra 28.3 g
1min Citra 28.3 g
Dry Hop Citra 28.3 g

Yeast
Yeast, Wyeast 1968 London ESB

I'm looking to convert this recipe into ingredients I can get from Home Make It:

https://www.homemakeit.com.au/collections/home-brew/Grain

The hops and yeast are fine but there are a couple of malts that I'm not sure about:

1) Pale Malt - 2 Row... is this just viking pale ale malt? What does the 2 Row mean?
2) Calamel Malt (20L)... I can't see anything comparable
3) CaraPils... I can see Cara Plus 10 or Cara Pale. Would these work?

If needed I can also make the trek to Yarraville and get stuff from Grain and Grape:

https://www.grainandgrape.com.au

but that's a bit of a trip for me. I'll do it if needed though.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I haven't been all grain brewing long and I want to make sure I get this right.

The full recipe is here:

https://beernbbqbylarry.com/2017/04/05/3-floyds-zombie-dust-clone-recipe/

I got into brewing by following this dudes youtube channel. He raves about this beer so I'd like to try and make it as faithfully as possible.

Thanks in advance for your help.

In America (and pretty much only America) you could choose between 2-Row and 6-Row base malt. In the rest of the world all the base malt is 2-Row! So any base malt you order here will be 2-Row Malt.
Easiest way would be to open up a spreadsheet, put in the masses as given then convert to percent of grist. Then put in the mass you use for your system, say you are making 55L and use 10.5 Kg (10500g), work out each addition as a percentage of your total.
If you were a bit more experienced you could include Colour and Yield potential for each malt which would get you a lot closer to an exact model of the recipe, but as it stands -
Any good pale malt, (BB, Joe White, Perl... whatever your retailer stocks)
Vienna, probably going to be either Weyermann or other German Vienna
Caramel, probably be Australian I would choose the BB Caramalt, or one of the UK Light Carra Malts
Melanoidin, well no choice really think Weyermann
Munich, Probably German, I would choose Munich 1 as a starting point
CaraPils, again Weyermann.
Mark
upload_2017-12-5_9-13-3.png

Attachments

• Grain Bill.xlsm
    10.2 KB · Views: 21
And I tried so hard to just jump in with an ad...
Seriously any decent home brew shop should be able to make a fair fist of something like what Muz is after, better I think to learn how to work with ingredients your self.
Mark

Last edited:
In America (and pretty much only America) you could choose between 2-Row and 6-Row base malt. In the rest of the world all the base malt is 2-Row! So any base malt you order here will be 2-Row Malt.
Easiest way would be to open up a spreadsheet, put in the masses as given then convert to percent of grist. Then put in the mass you use for your system, say you are making 55L and use 10.5 Kg (10500g), work out each addition as a percentage of your total.
If you were a bit more experienced you could include Colour and Yield potential for each malt which would get you a lot closer to an exact model of the recipe, but as it stands -
Any good pale malt, (BB, Joe White, Perl... whatever your retailer stocks)
Vienna, probably going to be either Weyermann or other German Vienna
Caramel, probably be Australian I would choose the BB Caramalt, or one of the UK Light Carra Malts
Melanoidin, well no choice really think Weyermann
Munich, Probably German, I would choose Munich 1 as a starting point
CaraPils, again Weyermann.
Mark
View attachment 110211

Thanks Mark for your detailed reply. I'm happy with the recipes volume so I don't need to convert the grain amounts. This should leave me with 20 liters in the fermenter.

Looks like Grape and Grain have what I'm after.

Briess 2 Row
Joe White Vienna
Joe white cara (out of stock)
Bestmalz Melanoidin
Bestmalz Munich (dark or light?)
Bestmalz Carapils

Can you see anything wrong with this? Apart from the cara being out of stock...

I'm assuming the 2 row is pale.

When you say Munich 1... I can see Bestmalz Munich light or dark. I'm guessing 1 = light?

Thanks again.

Oh, also. I notice in the original recipe I quoted it says Caramel Malt (20L). What does the 20L signify? The Joe White Cara doesn't have this after it.

In America (and only there) they measure colour in Lovibond so 20L is the colour of the malt, the rest of the world uses EBC (European Brewing Convention) which is about double (well times 1.97) oL.
So your 20oL Crystal (which Cara is) would be substituted with about 40 EBC malt. Joe White Cara is 40-60EBC, see following, and yes that's Joe White (been bought out by Cargill). One of the UK Caramalts would work well to, I personally am very fond of the flavour Thomas Fawcett's brings to the beer.
upload_2017-12-5_13-48-42.png

I wouldn't wast the extra money on the American base malt, in my experience BB is better and cheaper, for the same sort of money as the Briess I would use one of the UK base malts (Perl...)
Without looking at the colour of the whole recipe my first thought would be Munich 1 (light)
Mark

So Cara and Crystal are the same thing?

Final dumb question for the day... BB stands for?

Don't be afraid to ask questions, way better to ask than go off half arsed and mess it up.
As above BB, is Barret Burston, I find their malt nicer than JW for around the same price. (Opinion)
Cara/Crystal, well all the German Cara malts are Crystal Malts (See Weyermann) same applies to most UK, Australian and American malts, technically there are some Caramel malts that aren't Crystal Malts, but the naming non-crystal Cara has fallen out of favour.

If G&G are out of JW Cara, you would get away with Weyermann CarraHell (literally Pale Cara, second palest W make after CaraPilis)

Latest posts

Back