Recipe Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gormand

Reaction score
Im moving into all grain in a few weeks and am planning on going with an english bitter as my first attempt. I recent had a bottle of "My wifes bitter" and I found it wasnt a bad drop so I was planning on giving it a go and then tweaking the recipe to suit my own tastes. Thankfully the bottle had the specialty malts (Crystal and Choc) along with the hops (Fuggles and Kent Goldings) right there on the bottle. As well as the IBU and EBU of the beer (18 IBU and Im not sure of the EBU off the top of my head)

So looking for a bit of help in the volume department for the grains as well as a base malt that I should be looking at. Im planning on only doing a 10L batches to start with until I get a recipe Im happy with then I may do a full 23 litre batch.

Hops I should be ok to work out, Im planning to increase the IBU a little as I thought it could has used a bit more bite to it though.

Im moving into all grain in a few weeks and am planning on going with an english bitter as my first attempt. I recent had a bottle of "My wifes bitter" and I found it wasnt a bad drop so I was planning on giving it a go and then tweaking the recipe to suit my own tastes. Thankfully the bottle had the specialty malts (Crystal and Choc) along with the hops (Fuggles and Kent Goldings) right there on the bottle. As well as the IBU and EBU of the beer (18 IBU and Im not sure of the EBU off the top of my head)

So looking for a bit of help in the volume department for the grains as well as a base malt that I should be looking at. Im planning on only doing a 10L batches to start with until I get a recipe Im happy with then I may do a full 23 litre batch.

Hops I should be ok to work out, Im planning to increase the IBU a little as I thought it could has used a bit more bite to it though.

Yeah 18IBU sounds a little low for the style...i'd be bumping it up to around 30+IBU

A top recipe is something like this for a 10L batch
2.27kg Floor Malted Golden Promise 97%
70g Cararoma 3%

10g Fuggles @60 14IBU
10g EKG @ 30 11IBU
10g Styrian @ 10 6IBU

Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale or (S04 if you can only get dry yeast)

Back