Recipe Help - Pirate Life IPA Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brewdjoffe said:
Have you ever done this in your home brew? I generally dry hop in my primary FV and would imagine that I would need to put the hops in a sanitized bag/sock and then fish them out after a couple of days and replace with a new fresh bag of hops.
I haven't but i plan to give it a go and that is exactly how i will do it.

Hey Killer Brew
I'm keen to know how you went with this recipe?
How did it turn out?

jimmyj said:
Hey Killer Brew
I'm keen to know how you went with this recipe?
How did it turn out?
Wasn't actually my recipe so haven't brewed it. Perhaps the OP could update us? I have since though tried the hopping regime of splitting my dry hops into thirds and rotating every 2 days for a total of 6 days. Was really happy with the results and will do again.

What was your method? Just drop in a hop sock and fish out each time? I'm so paranoid each time I uncover the wort my risk of infection increases!

Correct. I was very careful but yeah there is always the risk.

soundawake said:
Pirate Life use US05 for their yeast. The brewer told me when I was at the brewery. They also ferment at 21 degrees.
The top of their cans all say 16deg.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1473212000.923967.jpg

Definitely US05, but they ferment at 16 degrees (as stated on packaging)

I spent alot of time mimicking this one and finally have it correct. I ferment at 18, Cascade only for flavouring at 20 - 10 and 0. (Around 100gms total to equal 44 ibu) Dry hop with Mosaic (must be fresh) at around 200gms loose. Cold crash for a day, keg/bottle and enjoy!

I find the 'extreme' dry hop does give sone sense of bitterness so I don't quite go all the way to 50ibu in the kettle. Loads of crystal balance this nicely

Pirate Life use US05 for their yeast. The brewer told me when I was at the brewery. They also ferment at 21 degrees.

why don't you just email and ask them the recipe? They would be stoked to know the homebrew community are trying to clone their beer.

No offence taken at all, I suppose there is more than one way to skin a cat. I never would have thought brewing at 21 would be that tasty, depending on style and what your after I suppose. Would you say they'd have on average more than one packet of yeast per 21ltr batch to achieve such results at that temp?

If it puts your mind at ease in any way we ferment at 22 with 05 at work and get clean fermentations in hoppy beers, just need to ensure the pitch is nice and healthy and I dare say a bit of O2 would help on a homebrew batch!

Jumping in a little late here , but just wanted to say I brewed this a couple of months ago and it was extremely close to the original. Friends said they weren't able to pick the difference, although people tend to say the nicest things if it involves free beer :cool:.

Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 16.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 65.1 IBUs
Estimated ABV : 6.7 %
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.8 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
5.50 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston)
1.20 kg Pale Malt, Golden Promise
0.60 kg Munich I (Weyermann)
0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 65L (Bairds)
0.10 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC)
18.00 g Warrior [16.20 %] - First Wort 60.0 min
30.00 g Centennial [8.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins)
20.00 g Centennial [8.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min
45.00 g Simcoe [12.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 60
25.00 g Riwaka [5.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 60
15.00 g Centennial [8.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 60
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)
35.00 g Centennial [8.30 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days
25.00 g Riwaka [5.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days
25.00 g Simcoe [12.50 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days

I know they don't use Warrior but as I have some on hand I used it for the bittering.

I have a partial mash of this recipe is the fermenter at the moment.

OG of 1.072 and seemed to have finished or stalled at 1.022 which gives me 6.6% which isn't too bad. about to dry hop... How did you go with the 50g of each?

Back