Recipe Help: Moa Breakfast Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thommo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just tried the Moa Breakfast Beer for the first time and I'm keen on attempting a semi-clone.

Just putting it out there, wondering if anyone has heard or has any ideas on yeast, recipe, etc, before i attempt my first experiment.

To me it's a lager with some wheat in it. Label says it's Wheat Malt, but I'm definitely not tasting a 100% wheat beer. Not sure i'm tasting a wheat yeast either. Love the subtlety of the cherries, not over done at all.

So...here's my first guess at a recipe.

40L brew.

6kg JW Pils
1.5kg JW Wheat
Sauvin Hops at 30 min to 16 IBU, with about 10gm at flameout.

Yeast....no idea, that's why the double batch so I can ferment two at once. Open to suggestions. 3068 in case it needs a wheat yeast, and something simple in a lager, 34/70, 800, help me out here....

Ferment to completion, rack onto some Cherry pulp/extract. Once again, the double batches will help me with determining a good amount.

Love to know if you think I'm heading in the right direction or if I'm way off...

Cheers,
Thommo.

Not sure if they've changed it but in the beginning I thought all Moa beers were finished with the champagne method, or method traditional to use the correct legal term, so aged as per sparkling wines or champagne with the yeast frozen out etc.
However, assuming that they are no longer all done that way, from memory (without looking to the rest of the internet) there was a saison aspect to this beer, maybe that was even a term they used? Might be worth some more research if you can, see if they are still finishing that way. From my memories of this beer I wouldn't go the 3068 way...

Thanks mate. Came with a cork so quite possible bottle conditioned with Champagne yeast.

I was racking my brains for a yeast. Was leaning towards a different Wheat yeast, something that gave off more of a bubble gum or fruity finish, but I think the Saison yeast ideam might actually be a step in the right direction.

I'll do a first experiment with a saison yeast and report back.

Thanks again.
Thommo.

Latest posts

Back