Recipe Help - Lord Nelson's Galactic Victory

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickaxe

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanting a second opinion on a recipe.

Trying to use up what I have in the way of hops - ie. getting rid of my Waimea stock, and using the last of my NS.
Wondering if the Victory and Carawheat will work? Never used Victory before. Brown sugar?

Cheers.
A.
1.50 kg Pale Liquid Extract (15.8 EBC) Extract 40.0 %
1.50 kg Wheat Liquid Extract (15.8 EBC) Extract 40.0 %
0.25 kg Caramel Wheat Malt (90.6 EBC) Grain 6.7 %
0.25 kg Victory Malt (49.3 EBC) Grain 6.7 %
0.25 kg Brown Sugar, Light (15.8 EBC) Sugar 6.7 %
10.00 gm Waimea [15.80%] (60 min) Hops 14.9 IBU
10.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [10.50%] (60 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
20.00 gm Galaxy [14.90%] (15 min) Hops 13.9 IBU
20.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [10.50%] (0 min) Hops -

20.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [10.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
20.00 gm Waimea [15.80%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -

1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
US 05 Yeast.

Batch Vol: 23L
Est Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.2 % + Bottling (approx 4.7%)
Bitterness: 38.8 IBU
Est Color: 19.6 EBC

Caramel wheat is a great spec malt. I'm ambivalent about Victory ... TBH, it doesn't have much impact on a beer unless you use heaps, and then it's kinda dusty IMO. Can't think of a better descriptor.

Dry hopping with Waimea? I haven't tried it, but it's not a typical dry hopper - it's no superstar hop - kinda like they re-released Southern Cross with a new name.

I reckon you could up the sugar no worries.

I've got some Special Roast Briess here? Would that be better swapped for Victory? Never used that either.

Yeah, Waimea. Got some cause it was cheap - got a cheap hop. Just using it to boost up this recipe as I dont have a lot of NS, and am saving my Galaxy for my next brew or two. (Gonna make some simple house quaffers like DR Smurtos Golden with Galaxy).

Guess its like cutting coke with baking powder?

Victory and Waimea are both fine - as is the recipe - just opining on the items really.

I got excited and thought someone was doing a take on my "Lord Nelson". Then got sad when it wasn't.

Not sure about Waimea. But maybe get hold of Mosaic, which is another really cheap hop and sub it in where you would put Citra. Waimea at 30 minutes to 15 IBU and hit the Mosaic and Nelson for another 20-25 IBU at 10 minutes (assuming you chill). I would use 10g of Galaxy at 10 minutes, but I noticed you want to save it.

A touch of Special Roast and Victory, maybe? I liked the Heritage Crystal, but Victory - it divides people.

I have dry hopped with Nelson and it isn't bad, but don't overdo it if you do. Mosaic is a great dry hopper.

I like Victory. Biscuit is even better. Nutty/toasty rather than dusty but everyone's palate is different.

I'll keep Mosaic in mind for my next Hop purchase. A few people have mentioned that one. And Columbus.

Not too into NS, as I thought I might be. I think I'm going to go with Citra, Columbus, Mosaic and Galaxy for my next purchase and play with them.

This is my first really hoppy brew using a combination.
Decided on this. Kind of balanced things up a bit, not too much of one or the other. Anyway, here goes nothing. We'll see what happens.

Sticking with Victory and Carawheat, 250g each.

Pot is heating as I write.

10.00 gm Waimea [15.80%] (30 min) Hops 11.5 IBU
20.00 gm Galaxy [14.90%] (15 min) Hops 13.9 IBU
20.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [10.50%] (15 min) Hops 9.8 IBU
10.00 gm Galaxy [14.90%] (10 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
20.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [10.50%] (0 min) Hops
20.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [10.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
20.00 gm Waimea [15.80%] (Dry Hop 3 days)

41 IBUs or so.

Appreciate the input. I'll let you know how it goes.

Might want to sub out one of (Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic) when you're purchasing the next lot - owing to the fact that they are similar. I like Chinook with them, because you get the piney, resinous aroma and flavour to cut through the fruit salad.

Don't get me wrong, Citra, Galaxy and Mosaic make a really good beer (I'm carbonating one at the moment), but you need something extra that's not all fruit to really make it shine. I'm not sure you'll get all that with Columbus - as it does still have that citrus element to it. And if you're on a tight budget, then you might prefer to drop a 'fruit' and grab a 'pine' hop to complement. Citra, Galaxy, Columbus and Chinook would be a great combo, whereas Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic and Colombus will be good, but not sure about great.

That being said, YMMV, and taste is individual. I used to love making fruitsalad beers, but now I like something with an extra facet of hop flavour.

Just a thought.

Sorry to make ya feel sad Goomba. HAHA! When I get the hops in my hand, thats one I'm gonna try.

Good point. I've been actually wondering how to get that resiney piney flavour more. i thought it was from earlier adds, but of course its to do with Hop. The Tower IPA I had recently had a good balance of fruit and pine, and more I find it, more I crave it. Chinook eh? Sounds like what I need.

Dont want all my beers tasting like fruit salad, or I'd have to get an endorsement from:
stephen.maclean.boy.from.oz.peter.allen.jpg

I'm also wanting to use a lot of my stock up to justify a purchase - so I can go All Grain next batch.
Had a crack at a partial, and it has come out drier than I'd hoped due to a quick falling mash temp (I think), really dry and doesnt suit a US wheat beer. Not undrinkable, but not great.
so next time, I'll full batch mash (18L anyway topping up to 20 or 23L), keep more stable temps hopefully, get a better result. Seems like the only issue I had too. Big lesson learned. Tried to mash 2.5kg in 5L water, in a pot. No wonder it fell so quick.

Latest posts

Back