Recipe Gives Hop Percentage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricardo

Reaction score
Just reading the IPA book by Mitch Steele and it has a few interesting recipes that i'd like to try.

The thing i'm unsure of though is that he gives the hop additiions such as

Start of boil - Chinook 66%
Flameout - Simcoe & Amarillo 17% each

How can i work out the amount needed, do i need to see how many Chinook hops i would have to use to get the IBU and then take that as 66% of the total hop bill?

Plug into some software. brewmate is free and play around till you get your numbers.
As long is he gives expected IBU's then you should be able to get there with a little tweaking.

If you have brew software, and know the total IBU's for the recipe, I'd do this:

Set IBU to 100.
Dial in 66 IBU of Chinook (at your alpha level) @ start of boil.
Dial in 17 IBU of both Simcoe and Amarillo @ flameout.

Then adjust the IBU to what the recipe says it is.

The software should adjust the hop quantities required.

I couldn't figure this out either but Mitch Steele clarified, it's by weight of the total hop bill.

So if you were adding 100g of hops to the beer, you'd have 66g of Chinook, 17g of Simcoe and 17g of Amarillo. Adjust the bittering addition for IBU's, more or less depending on your AA% etc.

Honestly it's a bit of a ridiculous way of listing a recipe but hey, what can you do.

I'd be weary of a recipe listed like that. I'd want to see AA% of the hops in the recipe so adjustments can be made.

slash22000 said:
I couldn't figure this out either but Mitch Steele clarified, it's by weight of the total hop bill.

So if you were adding 100g of hops to the beer, you'd have 66g of Chinook, 17g of Simcoe and 17g of Amarillo. Adjust the bittering addition for IBU's, more or less depending on your AA% etc.

Honestly it's a bit of a ridiculous way of listing a recipe but hey, what can you do.
i suppose once you work out the amount of hops you need for the IBU the rest will follow. For example if i need 66g of Chinook to say get 20 IBU's stated in the recipe then by default i would need 17 g each of simcoe and amarillo?

It's about the percentages. Start with 100g total at the AA% of the hops you'll be using. Decrease/increase the total amount until you get to the IBU target.

Also keep in mind that a whirlpool hop addition is not the same as a flameout hop addition. A whirlpool hop addition gives about 15 minutes boil worth of bitterness, so if the recipe calls for a "whirlpool hop", you need to take that into account with the total IBU's.

slash22000 said:
Never thought of doing it that way, but it kind of makes sense to me for hop-dominated beers. Listing the total IBU's and then the percentages of each hop seems more likely to get you closer to the original intention of the recipe, flavor-wise, since AA's can be in quite a range depending on season, etc. Maybe that's the little mouth talking though...it DOES assume you can do the mafs though.

Thing is that most big breweries in the US seem to use lb/bbl as a measurement for hops, and that's easy to convert to grams per litre. Dunno why the recipes weren't presented in that way.

Could also use AAU for the bittering additions, designed entirely around variable AA%.

The only hops mentioned in the original recipe are at 60 minutes and at flameout.

Given that the 60 minute hops will provide 100% of the IBUs in the recipe, and the flameout additions will theoretically add no more, it can't be that hard to work out.

Just dial in your recipe as usual into whichever brewing software you favour, then adjust your 60 minute hops to give you the IBUs in the original recipe.
Once you have that, calculate 17% plus 17% of that for your flameout addition.

Am I missing something here? I'm just a dumb retired schmuck, but it doesn't seem like rocket science to me, with all due respect to all the previous posters. The OP's question in the final line of his/her post would seem to be the way to go?

Right, that would make sense for this particular recipe, but assuming he/she wants to brew any of the other recipes in the book might as well explain how they're written out.

Seems a bit convoluted, easiest would be just to write, say, 60min 25 ibus, 20 min 10 ibus and then go for the percentages for flame-outs etc that don't add to ibu theoretically.

warra48 said:
Given that the 60 minute hops will provide 100% of the IBUs in the recipe, and the flameout additions will theoretically add no more, it can't be that hard to work out.
What I gave in the original post was just an example. One of the recipes 'Port Brewing - 15 Hop' for example gives you the IBU and tells you the 15 hops required, it also says that its a 3 and a half hour boil with hop additions every 15 minutes and that's it

It also might depend on who is giving him the recipes and what he is allowed to print.

Also lets you do some of the work.

This is the recipe i'm most interested in, I'm going to sit down at the weekend and try and work it out but i'm a bit confused about the whirlpool additions if anybody can help? iI was lucky enough to try a bottle of this and it's phenominal

Hill Farmstead - James Black IPA

60 mins - 20% Simcoe + CO2 extract
45 mins - 12% Centennial + CO2 extract
10 mins - 15% Centennial + CO2 extract
Whirlpool - 17 % Centennial + 32% Columbus

CO2 extract i believe works out at 10 IBU per 1 ml and looking at the percentages would make up 4%

60 minute boil time
IBU needed 120 (calculated)

Latest posts

Back