Recipe For Modifying Coopers Wheat Kit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eteo

Reaction score
Hi, I am thinking of doing a Coopers wheat kit but modified to a German type of weizen beer if possible. Does anyone know a recipe? I am thinking of a style along the lines of a German heavier type beer and not as light as Hoegarten. Thanks in advance

Hi, I am thinking of doing a Coopers wheat kit but modified to a German type of weizen beer if possible. Does anyone know a recipe? I am thinking of a style along the lines of a German heavier type beer and not as light as Hoegarten. Thanks in advance

To achieve the "heavier" (I assume you mean a beer with greater body) your best bet is to use more malt extract than processed sugars (dextrose and sucrose). To make a Weizen you absolutely have to use a suitable yeast, whether dry or liquid. The Coopers wheat kit makes a nice beer, but I don't really think it is the best kit to make a German Weizen. It would be a lot easier to make a drier style beer with it.

Try and get hold of the WB-06 wheat yeast that Ross sells, lot of people are quite impressed with it for a dried yeast. I'd suggest Coopers Wheat Kit (from their brewmaster range) a tin of Wheat Malt Extract (if you want it big you could add two tins, or one of wheat one of light) and maybe some saaz/tettnang hops as well. Best to use actual hops rather than the teabag thingo's. Personally I'd still be fermenting it at ale temps (no higher than 20degs), others will disagree.

Try and get hold of the WB-06 wheat yeast that Ross sells, lot of people are quite impressed with it for a dried yeast. I'd suggest Coopers Wheat Kit (from their brewmaster range) a tin of Wheat Malt Extract (if you want it big you could add two tins, or one of wheat one of light) and maybe some saaz/tettnang hops as well. Best to use actual hops rather than the teabag thingo's. Personally I'd still be fermenting it at ale temps (no higher than 20degs), others will disagree.

Thanks a lot. But as I am in Singapore, I have limited choice in terms of yeast and hops. I will take your suggestions as far as whats available here. Thanks so much once again.

Then stick with the coopers yeast and don't worry about the hops. It'll come out quite nice with a bit of a banana esters and should be a nice quaffer.
Fill in your location too, I'm sure you're not the first from Singapore to be on here.

Hi, I'm in luck! Got some wyeast 3068. Was thinking of doing the following recipe this weekend. Has anyone done anyting similar? I am trying to make a German wheat beer taste.

2 cans, coopers wheat malt extract
1 ounce, Hallertauer hops (boil 60 minutes)
1/2 teaspoon, Irish moss (15 minute boil)
1/4 ounce, Hallertauer (10 minute boil)
Wyeast #3068 wheat yeast
Makes 5 gallons

Any advice will be welcome. Thanks once again.

Hi, I'm in luck! Got some wyeast 3068. Was thinking of doing the following recipe this weekend. Has anyone done anyting similar? I am trying to make a German wheat beer taste.

Wyeast #3068 wheat yeast
Makes 5 gallons

Made two wheat beers but am not real happy with either result First used Coopers Wheat and a 1 kg tin Morgans wheat extract (too much wheat - won't try again) The second an ESB 3kg kit - again, nothing much there I liked.

Ross at Craftbrewers made a hefe recently adding a mashed frozen banana for that extra banana taste which I like the sound of.

The CraftBrewer Weizen (WB-06) yeast has a wonderful tartness & clove character, but is a little subdued on the banana, as it's a German rather than Bavarian strain. For this beer I wanted a more Bavarian character & through previous trials I've found that the fresh banana does this admirally. A single banana is frozen in a plastic bag & then defrosted on brewday & mashed to a pulp within the bag. It's then added to the last 5mins of the boil inside a hop sock to retain the fruit flesh - works a treat

This might help. Best you just make it up as you want and see what turns up. Interested to know how it turns out.

Wyeast #3068 wheat yeast
Makes 5 gallons

That is a good yeast.

If you want a bit more malty - get some Munich say 250gms and 50gms of Dark munich.
Do a small mini mash and use this in the biol with the hops - also - add the coopers yeast into the boil as well - will be yeast nutrient for the 3068.

Add the cans of goo directly into the fermenter.

Hope this helps

That is a good yeast.

If you want a bit more malty - get some Munich say 250gms and 50gms of Dark munich.
Do a small mini mash and use this in the biol with the hops - also - add the coopers yeast into the boil as well - will be yeast nutrient for the 3068.

Add the cans of goo directly into the fermenter.

Hope this helps

Thanks, but I have not done mini mash before so I will stick with the extract recipe above. But I will add the Coopers yeast into the boil. I am still new to this game having only brewed for just over a year. This is about my 7th batch. I intend to Primary for about 2 weeks (with the temperature brought down to below 10 degrees C in the second week to clear the beer) with no secondary. Then bottle in my tap a drafts for 4 weeks before drinking. Does this sound ok? Thanks once again.

Warmest regards.

Thanks, but I have not done mini mash before so I will stick with the extract recipe above. But I will add the Coopers yeast into the boil. I am still new to this game having only brewed for just over a year. This is about my 7th batch. I intend to Primary for about 2 weeks (with the temperature brought down to below 10 degrees C in the second week to clear the beer) with no secondary. Then bottle in my tap a drafts for 4 weeks before drinking. Does this sound ok? Thanks once again.

Warmest regards.

Sounds like you are ready to mini mash. If you are not into steeping grains and doing simple mini mashes, trust me they are dead simple and add a great and simple way to improve your beer quality. Go at your own pace, but as we say in the front row, don't let fear hold you back !

Tis simple, sparging can be time consuming if all you have is a kitchen colander - but well worth the effort

Back