Recipe Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hijax

Reaction score
G'day master brewers,

Im planning on doing a brew tomorrow with what ive got left over from other brews. Ive only done one mash before, this will be my second. Still finding it difficult know what all the different types of grains are good for! My first mash efficiency was only about 58% which i found quite depressing and had to add 1kg of LLME to bring up the original gravity, making it only a partial. Im only doing 14ltr batches due to my small 19ltr stock pot.

Anyway, this is what ive got to work with, any advice would be much appriciated!!!!!

1.05kgs - JWM Export Pilsner
1kgs - JWM Traditional Ale
800grms - JWM Caramunich
400grms - JWM Wheat
380grms - JWM Munich
250grms - Weyemann Carared

1kg - LLME

50grms - Cascade
50grms - Nelson sauvin
30grms - Centenial

:beer:

My 1st biab efficiency was that low. I upped it to 76% the very next brew by recirculating the wort and doing a mashout. (And pumping the living hell out of the mash with my trusty potato masher)

ok what do you use to work out your recipe?? as I use beersmith but set kettle loss to 0 and add 2 lts (or what ever your loss is to the total volume) so if you want 14lts set it to 16lts.

you could do a APA I dont have software as I am on linux but aim for 1050-1055OG with maybe 100g caramunch,100g wheat, and 100g carared the rest ale and make the loss up with pils. Use Cascade as bittering maybe 15-20IBU and the rest at 10mins depending what that gives you Id aim for about 30-35 IBU but I love the 10 min big wack of hops so work out your bittering then use the rest as a 10 min addition to get that IBU

What's wrong with 58%? consistency is more important than numbers. Anyway, I recon use all the grain except the caramunich, only use a few hundred grams of that, use what ever combo you like of your hops, IMO they all go well together, simple us05 and you'll be on a winna

58% in my case was bad because I was aiming for an IPA but the gravity fell way short and into APA territory. Being my 1st all-grain brew I didn't take the time to adjust the figures and used the bittering schedule for the SG Brewmate had predicted, resulting in an overly bitter APA.

Consistency is certainly preferred, but I'd rather consistently hit mid 70's than high 50's. Especially if it requires bugger all effort.

Some great advice, might try recirculating the wort. Im not sure how well i cracked my grains last time so hopefully its a biut better this time. Software wise im using beersmith2. One question with beer smith, when entering in the jwm traditional malt, do i add it as a pale malt 2 row? Im a total noob at software, is there a way to customize the grains you use more ofter. My local hbs onnly stocks JWM malts. :icon_offtopic:

Yep, you'll be fine to enter it as that

I treated my BIAB as a normal mash so mash at the temp then decant and boil or add water to reach mash out then stir the mash up recirculate till 3-4 times or untill husks and clear wort runs drain the tun and sparge with about 8lts of water or what ever you worked out and stir and recirculate. I basilica used my bag as a manifold

Hows this looking? i might go and buy a kilo of base malt tomorrow to replace the llme. Any advice on the hop schedule?

1.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) Grain 2 29.2 %
1.05 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 30.6 %
0.40 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 11.7 %
0.38 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 4 11.1 %
0.10 kg Caramunich Malt (110.3 EBC) Grain 5 2.9 %
10.00 g Cascade [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 7.0 IBUs
8.00 g Nelson Sauvin [11.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 12.8 IBUs
10.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 3.8 IBUs
20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 5.6 IBUs
10.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 1.5 IBUs
0.40 kg Pale Liquid Extract (15.8 EBC) Extract 7 11.7 %
0.10 kg Carared (39.4 EBC) Grain 6 2.9 %
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 13 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.045 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.009 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 30.7 IBUs Calories: 427.1 kCal/12 oz
Est Color: 15.4 EBC
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 3.43 kg
Sparge Water: 7.35 l Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C Tun Temperature: 22.2 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 7.90 l of water at 73.1 C 66.7 C 60 min

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

Looks ok to me. Only thing I'd change is the times on the late hopping, but if you want that bigger hop flavor then go for what you've got there. I'd go for 60,30,10 min addintions with a dry hop addition a few days into ferment, but that's just the way I like my hopping with these types of hop

Some great advice, might try recirculating the wort. Im not sure how well i cracked my grains last time so hopefully its a biut better this time. Software wise im using beersmith2. One question with beer smith, when entering in the jwm traditional malt, do i add it as a pale malt 2 row? Im a total noob at software, is there a way to customize the grains you use more ofter. My local hbs onnly stocks JWM malts. :icon_offtopic:
You can add JW malts to BS2, and weyermann, bairds, thomas fawcett, all the stuff you can purchase here.

Just click on the add-ons button, then click add and it will bring up a list of maltsters.

Back