Rebuilding Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
OK so I'm again reconditioning my kegs, I've had a couple of slow leakers and after checking last rebuilds was 2013. How time fly's!
I've been kegging for over 20 years so I've collected quite a few kegs, perhaps best not to tell. ;)
Anyway I'm replacing all O rings and poppet 'Top Hats' as usual.

Has anyone used these for a fair period of time, and your thoughts?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-x-GENERIC-POPPET-VALVE-BALL-PIN-LOCK-CORNELIUS-KEG-HOME-BREW-BEER-KEGGING-SEAL-/252106037479?hash=item3ab2b0d8e7:g:5HAAAOSw0HVWCHnT

It to me seems an O ring would seal better than these 'Top Hat" seals. And I do know a thing or two about O rings, seals etc.

Batz

Can't help you specifically, but agree with orings, and, these types you can just replace with new silicone orings.

I think they only work on American kegs.
From my experience the work well enough and fit both Cornelius and Firestone kegs. Only down side is that the springs are quite strong so if you have the disconnects with plastic internals, as is opposed to the Cornelius ones with Stainless internals, well some people have had problems with them breaking.

Have some in my kegs, would probably say the original poppets are better, but a lot more expensive.
Mark

They look like the ones i purchased,as mhb said the springs where to strong, would not depress far enough in with my plastic quick connects and had foaming issues.

Back