reasonably priced flasks $10 shipping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dammnn. that is awesome. I should have asked sooner. I do like the wide mouth on the one that I ordered though :)

They should make them from unbreakable glass. I have taken to making my starters in a stainless pot as I'm sick of breaking the ******* things.

I use a female chef's spoon or sanitised whisk.

I make/use starters a bit differently from most - I use wort from the bottom of the kettle decanted off the trub and subsequently pitch the entire lot when active. I don't grow from slurry or slants.

Therefore I treat the starter gently, aerating at the beginning and avoiding aeration once fermentation begins. I also keep fermentation temps reasonably low.

This method can only be used with no chill (or if you don't mind pitching different wort into your next brew but the whole point is that the wort is identical)

I got my flasks from Mad About Science too, as well as measuring cylinders and funnels. It was the cheapest place I knew of... until sp0rk's post.

pressure_tested said:
The mad about science one does not have a flat base. Is that normal? It's a pain to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
+1 to that, I thought all erlenmeyers had that curve underneath, PITA trying to get the stir bar balanced on it when on the stirplate... :S

the mad about science graduations are not accurate, well at least not on mine, they are way out!

pressure_tested said:
The mad about science one does not have a flat base. Is that normal? It's a pain to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
My Wiltronics flask has a slight curve on the bottom too
It can be pretty noisy at times with a stir bar that has a pivot ring

Back