Real Apple Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:icon_offtopic:

BTW I'm guessing that's your Shepherd in your avatar Pete? Fine looking dog.

We lost ours last year sadly, may she rest in peace (from swans, mostly) :(

060123_0104.jpg

I just chucked them through stems, skins, seeds and all. Did the same with the granny smiths as well (couldn't be arsed coring 10kg of apples). Seems to work OK. My juicer is one of the screw press types and it seems to handle the cores pretty well.

Cheers
Dave

My main reason for removing the seeds is to prevent that horrible bitterness from them going into the cider. I'm guessing you've had no trouble with that? Not removing the core would save a lot of work although i still have to cut the apples to fit them in the juicer.

We lost ours last year sadly, may she rest in peace (from swans, mostly) :(

:(

I can not get another pet until I am out of rentals as the market is so tight in Canberra you'll end up in no pets for sure even with my situation where the owner had his own dogs on the property and yet is a strictly no pet guy with my lease :blink:

I hope to get another German Shepherd myself if my own place with enough yard which is easy if I live in country NSW outside of Canberra but difficult if in Canberra as most properties are now down to less than 500sq.m. I've seen 350sq.m. and to see them sell them labelled as decent sized blocks!

For now I have my photograph at least and I have my home brewing to console me until that happy day :)

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

My main reason for removing the seeds is to prevent that horrible bitterness from them going into the cider. I'm guessing you've had no trouble with that? Not removing the core would save a lot of work although i still have to cut the apples to fit them in the juicer.

No trouble with bitterness at all. I suspect my juicer grinds them up and spits them out with the pulp so they don't make it into the juice. Its not an option at all for the crab apples. Not unless you had infinite patience and a really small knife...

Cheers
Dave

I might have a crack with a couple of sacrificial apples and see if the seeds get retained whole.

For now I have my photograph at least
I hear you. We're considering our long-term options at the moment, one of which is moving to a community which is nestled in national park and is also a wildlife sanctuary (and therefore strictly no-dogs). It's a tough decision, I really miss my girl.

:icon_offtopic: OK everyone else, we now return you to your regular programming... :beer:

Not to worry. Animals are special.

My folks' dog, who I knew as a puppy when I was a late teen (obviously I still know her know but don't live with her everyday anymore) is on her last legs. I would find it hard to do without a pet of one type or another (currently a cat owner). Part of the family, they are.

Latest posts

Back