Real Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its listed as a lager yeast on white labs website, not in the " It depends what temp you brew it at" category. I certainly wouldn't use it as a replacement for 1968 or 1469, would you?

My 2c

The only differences between ale yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) and lager yeast (Saccharomyces pastorianus) other than genotype are that ale yeast never grows above 37 C and will not break down the sugar melibiose in wort and lager yeast will never grow above 34 C and will break down melibiose.

Other than that if you ferment yeasts well out side of their optimum range who knows what kinds of weird flavours you might get. Hell, WLP920 Old Bavarian Lager yeast might actually produce some crazy fruity esters if brewed higher than the optimum 13 C and WLP001 lower than 20 C might produce a clean crisp lager-like beer.

EDIT: And a lager is a lager only cos we know which yeast we used when we brewed it and we tell people. If you keep that quiet and brew your beer with a method that produces something akin to an ale then who's to say those ignorant of the true will know the difference?

Apparently many of the weak "lagers" in the UK during the 60s and 70s during the lager lout boom (Harp, Black Label, Heineken) were brewed on ale yeasts.

If you throw a lager yeast into wort at 32C it explodes. Literally just goes KABOOM and you're covered in beer that tastes like VB.

See how I snuck VB in there. Sneaking VB into a pointless argument is like throwing lager yeast into wort at 32C.

If you throw a lager yeast into wort at 32C it explodes. Literally just goes KABOOM and you're covered in beer that tastes like VB.

See how I snuck VB in there. Sneaking VB into a pointless argument is like throwing lager yeast into wort at 32C.

Is bringing VB into a brewing conversation the beer-equivalent of Godwin's Law?

:p

If you're not with us then you must be a VB drinker :)

Its listed as a lager yeast on white labs website, not in the " It depends what temp you brew it at" category. I certainly wouldn't use it as a replacement for 1968 or 1469, would you?
Oh for God's sake! NO ! Of course I wouldn't use it as a replacement for those yeasts! What i've said is that you can use SOME (note:SOME) strains that will give you ALE- ISH (note:ISH !!!) flavours if fermented warmer than the NORM for lager yeasts,and be more than an acceptable beer .NO they're not going to duplicate ale strains' flavours exactly,but IMO they'll resemble an ale(esters.fruitiness,etc) much more than resemble a lager And for the record ,I consider it irrelavent what strain is being used. It's the fermentation temps and the FLAVOURS developed, by the individual strain of yeast being used, in GENERAL, during the process that defines a beer as an ale or lager :icon_cheers:

And for the record ,I consider it irrelavent what strain is being used. It's the fermentation temps and the FLAVOURS developed, by the individual strain of yeast being used, in GENERAL, during the process that defines a beer as an ale or lager.

This is what i disagree with. Its pointless and silly on my part, but for me, the strain you are using is either an ale or a lager, regardless of temp/flavours.

By your thinking, you only ever need one yeast, for all beers, regardless of whether its an ale or lager yeast? you just change the ferm temp, and voila, your czech pils yeast just brewed a bitter?

If you use Wyeast 3068 with a VB recipe you get Hoffofferschofer. Mmmmm, poop and bananas ... finally the two together!

Back