Real Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dijital

Reaction score
im trying to recreate a good english real ale,now the problem i have is basically artificial ingredients in food make me ill(physically) so im trying to source a really good pure ale yeast.and secondly does anybody have any good natural recipes for english style ales,im armed at the moment with 15kg of maris otter and 15kg of golden promise milled grain and for hopping ive 400grams of challenger and about 100 grams of fuggles....any help would be ideal thanks

If you go to the database and look up Dr Smurto's Landlord, that's a brilliant place to start.

im trying to recreate a good english real ale,now the problem i have is basically artificial ingredients in food make me ill(physically) so im trying to source a really good pure ale yeast.and secondly does anybody have any good natural recipes for english style ales,im armed at the moment with 15kg of maris otter and 15kg of golden promise milled grain and for hopping ive 400grams of challenger and about 100 grams of fuggles....any help would be ideal thanks

If you make this beer with just those ingredients plus a yeast there will be no artificial ingredients in your brew.

The Landlord clone is a good one.

Not sure what you mean by "really good pure yeast" as beer yeast is beer yeast is beer yeast (to a certain degree) and I'm not sure there's really a heirachy of purity - each strain has it's qualities and all are going to be the newest generation of a species that has been around for a very long time (perhaps as long or longer than humans). I don't think any are genetically modified - other than through the age-old practice of artificial selection by humans. Maybe you need one that doesn't hang around in suspension? If so get one that flocculates well (WLP002).

If you wanted a good English ale I would recommend Safale S-04 (dry yeast) or for the liquid stuff WLP002, Wyeast 1318 London Ale Yeast III or any other number of White Labs / Wyeast british ale yeasts.

good luck

they are now brewing golden ales that display similar points to lager
and yet it is still listed under the ale section
now thats somewhat confusing
still tasty brew though

Lager yeast produces a lager.
Ale yeast produces, wait for it, an ale.

Doesn't appear too confusing. ;)

Here's a quick and dirty reciepe.

95% Maris Otter or Golden Promise
5% Crystal (medium / light / dark / whatever)

If no crystal, then try lightly roasting some of your Maris Otter in the oven prior to cracking, be carfeul not to burn. Have a search for ideas of oven temps and times. If no crystal and not keen on roasting, then just 100% MO will be great too!

to an OG of around 1.045 - 1.050.

Mash around 68oC.

Around 25 IBU in total, say 15 from the Challenger at 60, and the rest from Fuggles at 15 mins, and a similar amount at flameout for aroma.

1318 is great flocculant yeast (careful with headspace in the fermenter as it is a genuine top-cropping beast!), as is S-04.

Cheers

:icon_chickcheers:

they are now brewing golden ales that display similar points to lager
and yet it is still listed under the ale section
now thats somewhat confusing
still tasty brew though

Who's "They"?

Google BJCP and read the style guide - most importantly what should, and what should not be in each beer. I can think of about 5 things that would corrupt each beer is transposed.

Lager yeast produces a lager.
Ale yeast produces, wait for it, an ale.

Doesn't appear too confusing. ;)
Really? Lager yeast IF fermented at the appropriate temps will produce a lager.If fermented at ale temps then you'll get ale-ish flavours Ale yeast .in general,goes to sleep at lager temps.ie 10c.Always exceptions though ie: Altbier yeast,which works down to 14/15 c There's a few dual yeast strains around that can make both lagers and ales with good flavours for both types.I think Whitelabs have a strain originally used by Charlie Papazian that works well to make either style :icon_cheers:

Really? Lager yeast IF fermented at the appropriate temps will produce a lager.If fermented at ale temps then you'll get ale-ish flavours Ale yeast .in general,goes to sleep at lager temps.ie 10c.Always exceptions though ie: Altbier yeast,which works down to 14/15 c There's a few dual yeast strains around that can make both lagers and ales with good flavours for both types.I think Whitelabs have a strain originally used by Charlie Papazian that works well to make either style :icon_cheers:

If fermented at ale temps then you'll get ale-ish flavours

Not sure i agree with this, lagers fermented warm taste nothing like an ale IMHO

What Rotten is gettin at is if you use a lager yeast you are making a lager may not be a good one if the yeast is not handled/used correctly but it will be a lager I guess. And yes you can make pseudo lagers with an ale yeast but it will be an ale.

Well thats as clear as mud.

Cheers

If fermented at ale temps then you'll get ale-ish flavours

Not sure i agree with this, lagers fermented warm taste nothing like an ale IMHO
Please note that i said"ale-ISH" flavours,Not necessarily the same intensity of esters,etc,but CERTAIN strains will produce a beer with ale characteristics if fermented warm ie: 16/18 c :drinks:I wasn't thinking of pseudo lagers with an ale yeast,more like a lager yeast that can be fermented warmer than the norm,to make an ale.And they do exist ;) If i brewed a beer,using a traditional lager yeast,at 18/20 c,would you consider that to still to be a lager ,or an ale? :D

Which lager yeast can produce similar flavours to 1968 london ESB?, or 1469?.

Please note that i said"ale-ISH" flavours,Not necessarily the same intensity of esters,etc,but CERTAIN strains will produce a beer with ale characteristics if fermented warm ie: 16/18 c :drinks:I wasn't thinking of pseudo lagers with an ale yeast,more like a lager yeast that can be fermented warmer than the norm,to make an ale.And they do exist ;) If i brewed a beer,using a traditional lager yeast,at 18/20 c,would you consider that to still to be a lager ,or an ale? :D

Ferment it at 35c if you want its still a lager

Which lager yeast can produce similar flavours to 1968 london ESB?, or 1469?.
I never said there were lager yeasts that would duplicate those strains' flavour characteristics What i said was SOME lager yeasts can be fermented warmer than the norm,and produce a beer with ale-ISH flavours and still be quite acceptable :beer:

Ferment it at 35c if you want its still a lager
A beer fermented at 35c is a lager? :rolleyes: A lager is a beer fermented at low temps and then aged (lagered) at NEAR (please note i said "near" ) freezing for a period If you brew at 35c it aint no lager,no matter what yeast you use :icon_cheers:

lager yeast that can be fermented warmer than the norm,to make an ale

This is wrong, plain and simple. Can you ferment lagers warm, and get a great beer, yep, but they dont have anything in common with ale. We obviously disagree here :icon_cheers:

Bacchus Brewing ferment their lagers at 19 degrees using a couple of real slut yeasts that don't care B) and produce clean lagers (having been lagered at 2 degrees).
However currently I'm doing a BoPils at 9.5 degrees - (cannot believe that I'm getting high krausen at 9.5 ... :eek: )

I think it all depends on the strain. I see what Toper is getting at - however isn't the distinction in the actual species of yeast? S. cerevisiae as opposed to S. Carlsbrergensis? There are sheeplike goats and goatlike sheep but still either a sheep or a goat - down rover, down rover :blink:

Back