Re-using Twist Top Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you cap them with crown seals do they twist off or do you still pop them off? Silly question I know but I can't picture if they can then twist off or not?

They twist off.

A Crown Seal or Screw Top is determined by the bottle, not the lid.

I don't know, but I would assume that a bottling line at Tootheys etc is pressing the lids onto the bottles, not screwing pre-formed lids on...

(and I would like to be corrected if I'm wrong ;))

I've just thrown a bunch of twist-top bottles out. They don't seal well in my experience. Not worth the trouble.

bradmccoy said:
I've just thrown a bunch of twist-top bottles out. They don't seal well in my experience. Not worth the trouble.
Using a bench-capper? If so, there should be no problems. You just chucked a bunch of perfectly useful bottles, man!

Can't say I've had a problem sealing screw tops, but they are definitely thinner glass than the crown seals in my experience.

After too many broken bottles while capping (with one of those hammer-powered cappers) I chucked out all of my screw tops... as well as the hand capper and invested in a bench capper.

Can't say I've had a problem sealing screw tops, but they are definitely thinner glass than the crown seals in my experience.

After too many broken bottles while capping (with one of those hammer-powered cappers) I chucked out all of my screw tops... as well as the hand capper and invested in a bench capper.
For screw tops you shouldn't use a hand capper let alone the "hammer" style (dangerous)- bench capper only or proper twist tops using a hand tightening ring.
Cheers

I've had a couple of issues with twist tops getting the lid on properly with a bench-capper, but normally is just one lid and the second attempt will go on fine.

In saying that, I have about 90/10 crown/twist in my collection, as I much prefer the crowns.

grott said:
For screw tops you shouldn't use a hand capper let alone the "hammer" style (dangerous)- bench capper only or proper twist tops using a hand tightening ring.
Cheers
Correct. I just like learning things the hard way. :ph34r:

Back