Re - Prime?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmo

Reaction score
hi all i have made a morgans english bitter with 300g LDM & 700g dextrose. it brewed @18 - 20 until gravity settled. i bulk primed the brew with 100g of LDM dissovled in 300mls of boiling water then added it to the fermenter stirred in and bottled in 650 pet bottles.
anyway after that long story, i cracked a beer and it is flat as a tack but tastes pretty good, what will happen if i open all the beers all night and re prime each with a teaspoon of sugar? will i have a batch of grenades or a bubbly brew? chhers all

Quick questions, what was your batch size and how long has it been in the bottle??

That does seem under primed to me....

I use 120-150gr of dextrose for 22L.....

As for options right now, not sure on that one, hopefully someone else will be along soon to help.

I prime my English bitters with just under 100gr of dex for 21lt. They are not flat as a tack but have low carbonation as an English bitter should.
Does the beer develop a head when poured? Are there any bubbles in the glass at all? Are the pet bottles hard at all? Like a bottle of softdrink?

Cheers
Gavo.

I prime my English bitters with just under 100gr of dex for 21lt. They are not flat as a tack but have low carbonation as an English bitter should.
Does the beer develop a head when poured? Are there any bubbles in the glass at all? Are the pet bottles hard at all? Like a bottle of softdrink?

Cheers
Gavo.
[/quo

it does have bubbles but not really any head retention, probably if i up ended the beer into the glass it would be ok , the bottles are hardish but not like a soft drink bottle it does hiss when opened but just not enough.

Have you tried the pocket sparkler system? Get a syringe form the chemist or the kids panadol medicine bottle, clean it. Put it in the glass and draw up the beer. Next squeeze it back out into the glass. You may need to do this a couple of times to form a head on the beer. A word of warning though, do it over the sink just in case you do it too well.

If you do this again you could up the LDME and drop some of the Dextrose, then balance it with some extra hops. This will aid head retention. If your keen, then steeping some specialty grain will also help. Link.

Cheers
Gavo.

I'd give it a couple more weeks and retry. I tried my latest brew after two weeks, one was just OK and one was flat.

Also I've read it needs the first week at room temp, so if it's been below that move it into a warmer location for a week and retry.

Cheers

Mark

If you add any powder to partly carbonated beer just make sure you get the lid on very quickly - it will gush (a lot <_< )

Best if you dissolve it in a small amount of boiling water then add it when cooled.
Makes it easier to measure too.

Back