Rays outdoors burner and free pot offer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone used the 38L pot for their boil yet? I am wondering if anyone has noticed scorching/burning of their wort.
Is the base thick/heavy?

nope. i was keen to do it this weekend but im going to hawaii next weekend so i wont be able to get my beer out of the fermenter. i could no chill i suppose...

I still need a few bits and bobs. Not likely to get a chance to fire it up for another week or two.

For those who were looking at Preston Ray's Outdoors, I got BCF on Gaffney St in Pascoe Vale to price match the offer (I think they're owned by the same company). As far as I know, they only had two left when I bought mine yesterday.

I put one on lay by today, the minister for war and finance saw reason! There are still a few at the Maroochydore store for any sunny coasters interested. EXCITE.

I've done a few mods to mine already. Ball valve and pick up installed.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I had to add some stainless bolts to the basket as it rested on the pickup by about 3mm.
I've got a pulley set up too but for some reason I can't upload the pic. Plus I think my pics are gonna be sideways. Pfft. I'll come back to this later. And by later I mean tomorrow. Haha.
image.jpg

There we go. Got it. Now all I need to do is convince the Gestapo to let me buy the ingredients for my next brew!

Hey all,

I just picked up my burner and pot this afternoon. Took it out of the box to set it up and noticed the hose and regulator assembly has "propane" written on it despite the box claiming a LPG hose and regulator would be provided.
Before I go back and whinge, I just wanted to check to see if there is a difference? Also, anyone else notice this?

LPG is mostly/wholly propane. That is the correct regulator.

Better to ask a simple question now than look a fool later on! It can be a bit confusing sometimes, though. Different names/terminology for the same thing...

On a different note, I've picked up the rest of the equipment I needed to BIAB, including the ingredients for my first brew. Thursday is looking like the big day :)

MCHammo said:
Better to ask a simple question now than look a fool later on! It can be a bit confusing sometimes, though. Different names/terminology for the same thing...

On a different note, I've picked up the rest of the equipment I needed to BIAB, including the ingredients for my first brew. Thursday is looking like the big day :)
Wise words!!
What's the first brew?

grabbed this deal the other day at ray's outdoors in camperdown. still looked like they had a few left! bought a new gas bottle also. now, to install the spigot and thermometer...

Dan Dan said:
Wise words!!
What's the first brew?
I spent a little while looking around for a few easy recipes to start with (this is not only my first BIAB, but my first beer), and found a couple of alright looking leads. I then checked out the website for the LHBS, and found that they have a few decent looking AG recipe packs that they make up. Ended up going for the Vienna Lager pack that they do. I've subbed in WLP838 (Southern German Lager) for the yeast, though. Managed to get a taste of a few of the un-cracked grains too, which was awesome.

I've been using the crab cooker insert for a while now & it's been great. One bit of advice I can give is to drill a shitload more holes in it, I drilled approx' 100 more holes with a 3mm bit.

I wasn't getting very good drainage before I drilled it, now it's spot on. Without good drainage you risk a couple of things, the pump can pull too much water from beneath the insert & stuff up your element & also if the pump isn't throttled back the wort can spill over the side, taking grain with it & blocking your pump.

1 more bit of advice, don't leave it soaking in sodium perc' solution for too long. It will oxidise the aluminium & turn it brown/black

Proffs said:
I've done a few mods to mine already. Ball valve and pick up installed.
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
attachicon.gif
image.jpg

I had to add some stainless bolts to the basket as it rested on the pickup by about 3mm.
I've got a pulley set up too but for some reason I can't upload the pic. Plus I think my pics are gonna be sideways. Pfft. I'll come back to this later. And by later I mean tomorrow. Haha.
attachicon.gif
image.jpg

There we go. Got it. Now all I need to do is convince the Gestapo to let me buy the ingredients for my next brew!
mate wow thats exactly what i want to do. how hard is it to put the ball valve in?

jaymzica said:
mate wow thats exactly what i want to do. how hard is it to put the ball valve in?
Na, piece of piss mate. Just used a cheap step drill bit from bunnings to drill the hole to 20mm and filed the extra mm out. It was pretty easy seeing the pots only aluminium. The only bummer about it is that the elbow on the pickup sits just too high so the basket rests on it. I had to put 3 stainless bolts in the bottom of the basket to raise it. If you're any good with a drill this probably wouldn't happen. :unsure: I needed 60mm bolts but couldn't get them with the thread all the way up so had to get 75mm and shorten them. No biggie.

I got all the bits for the valve from Anthony @ Craftbrewer. Cost around $60. The bolts were another $15 alone! The pulley, rope, and clip came from the big shed and probably cost another $20.

Let me know if you want some more details about exact parts etc.

Proffs said:
Na, piece of piss mate. Just used a cheap step drill bit from bunnings to drill the hole to 20mm and filed the extra mm out. It was pretty easy seeing the pots only aluminium. The only bummer about it is that the elbow on the pickup sits just too high so the basket rests on it. I had to put 3 stainless bolts in the bottom of the basket to raise it. If you're any good with a drill this probably wouldn't happen. :unsure: I needed 60mm bolts but couldn't get them with the thread all the way up so had to get 75mm and shorten them. No biggie.

I got all the bits for the valve from Anthony @ Craftbrewer. Cost around $60. The bolts were another $15 alone! The pulley, rope, and clip came from the big shed and probably cost another $20.

Let me know if you want some more details about exact parts etc.
+1 for anthony from craftbrewer. he emailed me the specs and details about all parts. same price.

your set up looks fkn amazing mate. hope i'm that decent with a drill too haha. i might need help. i'm all thumbs

sweet as. i might try without the ball lock for now. ill pull the grain bag with grain out and sparge in another pot i have then transfer back to big pot.

jaymzica said:
sweet as. i might try without the ball lock for now. ill pull the grain bag with grain out and sparge in another pot i have then transfer back to big pot.
Yea, that's my plan as well. The main reason I put the valve in was to fill a cube without spilling heaps of boiling wort all over myself...again. Haha

hahhaa yeah i think ill end up doing that as tippin 20 or so litres of hot wort into the fermenter isnt easy.

Back