Rays outdoors burner and free pot offer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diesel80 said:
There is no right way or wrong way to get into AG, just get into it!
Price is good for what you get!

Cheers,
D80
Of that, I am only too well aware! After weeks of reading a few bits here and there on the forums, I'm finally starting to get my head around everything. I'll probably end up building a proper system down the track, just looking for a potential launchpad. Seems like I may have found it (as long as they're not all sold out!)

Got my burner for $139 a few weeks ago on special, would of been good to get the 38L and use as a HLT instead of the 19L Big W special.

Haven't even put any gas through mine yet, this weekend hopefully.

EDIT: I think the store in the City had a fair few of the burners when I got mine. Could try there.

MCHammo said:
Of that, I am only too well aware! After weeks of reading a few bits here and there on the forums, I'm finally starting to get my head around everything. I'll probably end up building a proper system down the track, just looking for a potential launchpad. Seems like I may have found it (as long as they're not all sold out!)

I did a partial biab using the 19lt pot the other day, learnt heaps now im pumped to use the 38lt one. Its heaps of fun!

MCHammo said:
This is a fantastic start, very powerful burner, pot great for single batches and the insert is very versatile. For single batches takes around 10 min to reach strike temp and 10 mins to go from mashout to boil. Burner should happily do double and triple batches if you upgrade to a bigger pot.

Couldn't go wrong with this deal for a starting place, honestly couldnt see you needing much more gear unless you wanted to up the volume..... doesn't get much cheaper and easier to get into BIAB

Yep, the stand it comes with is perfect for the 38L pot. All i did was drill a hole in the pot and put in a stainless tap with a weldless bulkhead, and put four bolts in the bottom of the insert so i could apply heat directly to the mash.

Thanks guys, this is EXACTLY the sort of feedback I was after. Cheers!

Hang on, these are designed to run on LPG, correct? Do you think there's any way of converting them to natural gas? I assume a cheap rig like this isn't designed to be converted, but you never know. My knowledge of LGP vs NG isn't extensive... I know that NG and LPG appliances use different regulators and jets, but that's about it. If it can't be done, I guess I could always just go out and buy an LPG bottle...

surly said:
LPG is standard BBQ type gas, right?
Depends on what you call "standard BBQ gas". LPG is the standard gas in those swap & go type bottles. Some of us have natural gas plumbed up inside/outside the house for gas BBQs/appliances. Using this requires a different regulator and jets due to different energy output and fuel:gas ratios.

MCHammo said:
Depends on what you call "standard BBQ gas". LPG is the standard gas in those swap & go type bottles. Some of us have natural gas plumbed up inside/outside the house for gas BBQs/appliances. Using this requires a different regulator and jets due to different energy output and fuel:gas ratios.
Thanks, that clears it up. I have a 9kg gas bottle I don't use, so that would be perfect :)

Yuss! Got mine today. Browns Plains store still had 3. Ran it through a boil test and lost 5.3 litres in an hour! Bit different to the big W 19L pot and 3 ring burner. Bring on full AG batches!

Grabbed mine today, too. Lidcombe was sold out, so I had to trek all the way out to Campbelltown (they have one left now). Totally worth it, though. Time to start looking up some recipes... :)

can i ask a silly question??

Why are you guys putting bolts on the bottom of the crab pot insert thing? what does it do?

i see it applies heat directly to the mash...what advantage does this have?

I was wondering the same thing. I just measured a 43mm clearance between the bottom of the basket and the pot. Is this not enough to stop the bag/grain burning/melting?

My basket sat directly on the bottom of the pot, i was worried it would scorch the bag, hence the 1" bolts to keep it up off the bottom. What is holding yours off the bottom to give it a 43mm clearance??

Being able to apply heat directly means you dont have to hoist the bag if you fall shy of your mash temp and want to raise it a degree or two, or you are doing a step mash, or you are raising to mashout, etcetc.

There is a flange around the top of the basket. This sits on a ridge around the top of the pot. So the basket is still making contact with the pot, but it's not sitting on the bottom.

MCHammo said:
There is a flange around the top of the basket. This sits on a ridge around the top of the pot. So the basket is still making contact with the pot, but it's not sitting on the bottom.
Perfect, no bolts needed then.

The 60lt pot and basket without the bolts sat on the base of the pot. I used the bolts to raise the basket and prevent the bag from scorching. I had to bump the temp up during the mash. It worked well, no burnt bag!

Back