Raw Sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajdougall

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post! I was a home brewer in my early 20s and have just started again at 36 so alot of new knowledge has passed me by!

I work for a sugar mill and get 25kg of raw sugar as a bonus each year, it is classed Queensland High Pol otherwise known as QHP. It has more molasses and other impurities removed than other raw sugars.

Anyway I used it in a Brigalow Apple Cider and it tastes great. However I have not been game to use it for anything else.

Does anybody else use raw sugar? It would be great to find out more.

Cheers

Doogs

Hi all,

This is my first post! I was a home brewer in my early 20s and have just started again at 36 so alot of new knowledge has passed me by!

I work for a sugar mill and get 25kg of raw sugar as a bonus each year, it is classed Queensland High Pol otherwise known as QHP. It has more molasses and other impurities removed than other raw sugars.

Anyway I used it in a Brigalow Apple Cider and it tastes great. However I have not been game to use it for anything else.

Cheers

Doogs

It's fine Doogs (hows about adding your location to your profile, might have some brewing brothers close by). From memory there was some sort of Pol Scale for international price setting re the purity of sugar. Think they use light polarisation to test for purity.

Screwy

It's fine Doogs (hows about adding your location to your profile, might have some brewing brothers close by). From memory there was some sort of Pol Scale for international price setting re the purity of sugar. Think they use light polarisation to test for purity.

Screwy

yep in the sugar industry to measure juice purity = pol / brix * 100
(apparent sucrose content / percent by mass of total dissolved solids * 100 )

As far as using QHP (by the way I assume you may be from ISIS mill?) with the higher pol I think it would be highly fermentable leaving the been really thin, not really the best. It would make an excellent source for a wash for a still.

QldKev

Screwy

Will do Screwy, I am in Maryborough QLD

yep in the sugar industry to measure juice purity = pol / brix * 100
(apparent sucrose content / percent by mass of total dissolved solids * 100 )

As far as using QHP (by the way I assume you may be from ISIS mill?) with the higher pol I think it would be highly fermentable leaving the been really thin, not really the best. It would make an excellent source for a wash for a still.

QldKev

Hi QldKev,

I am actually from the Maryborough Mill, we produce QHP too. I work for the growers giving them advice on fert, weeds etc.

What about using the sugar for carbonation?

Hi QldKev,

I am actually from the Maryborough Mill, we produce QHP too. I work for the growers giving them advice on fert, weeds etc.

What about using the sugar for carbonation?

I'm an ex Bundaberg Sugar worker, worked in IT. One of the projects I worked on I interfaced the NIR system at Tablelands and Millaquin. I believe you guys also run NIR.

The sugar would be fine for carbonation, I think the crystal structure and small grain size would act as a bonus. I would probably drop the amounts back a bit to avoid over carbonation, but not sure about ratio.

QldKev

Hi all,

Cheers

Doogs

I was brewer in my early twenties too - now I'm 60, though I just kept going

Sugar is good for things like English ales, but even then no more than 20 percent MAX of the total fermentable sugars.
You may find dark brown sugar usefull (small additions only) in some of the darker ales.

I am the only person who thinks 25kg of sugar is a weird bonus?

Latest posts

Back