rate my crush

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit coarse if you were BIABing. Not bad for 3V though can't see much flour. Looks like a lot of whole grains. Grab a handful and test to see if they're broken up inside the husk. If not I'd tighten the gap a wee bit.

I was at Murrays a couple of years ago when they were milling for a brew and they grab a handful and just massage it in the palm of the hand to check for any un-crushed grains (didn't find any but I guess it's a good double check on how it's going)
Unless you are BIAB ing then it's important to have plenty of fairly intact husks to form a grain bed and prevent a stuck sparge.

My BIAB crush is much finer. I use a Marga and initially drilled a hole in the "spacer control" wheel as per a thread on AHB, but found it too coarse. So I drilled a hole half way between that and the most coarse factory hole on the wheel and it's perfect for BIAB. Mashing one as we speak.

I'd say still a few whole grains, needs to be finer.

should have mentioned I use a 2V system

thanks for the feedback I'll probably tighten things up a bit before brewday tomorrow

edit, btw the handfull test shows it is almost all crushed, so maybe not

Looks good. Make sure to stir at least once and recirc with a pump if possible. That coarse crush will benefit from recirculating.

I've found tighter crushes get the right amount of floor but tear up the husks a bit more on not so fancy mills.

80.5% efficiency into the boiler (temp adjusted)...pretty happy with that but might tighten a touch just to see what it does next time

As someone pointed out earlier - just rub a small handful of the cracked grain between you hand & if it all breaks up your crush is perfect. No point in tightening if it's spot on.

Cheers Ross

thanks Ross

I'll still probably **** around with the settings on my mill - not in disrespect to your advice, just because I like seeing what happens when you push the parameters....what is the point in making your own otherwise

No two mills are the same...even if they look it.

Keep playing and make sure you make small adjustments.

Try wetting your grains prior to crushing.

You will find that different grains crush differently.

I have always mixed my grains up then crushed

There is no golden rule, but when you get it right you will know.

I've been playing with my crush and process, adjusting each time things that I think have failed me in efficiency.

Yesterday I crushed at 1.3mm gap and kept temp within one degree of 66 for 90 mins, and got a 78.9% mash efficiency. I was pretty stoked as my previous effort pulled 61% mash efficiency, and before that, lower.

Ross's advice above is what made me settle on the 1.3, it looked coarse, but broke up in the hand - thanks!

Back