Raspberry Pi vs Arduino vs C.H.I.P vs Photon (inc. Poll)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one

• Raspberry Pi

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Photon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C.H.I.P

• Arduino

• Other

• I think I might be in the wrong thread...

• Total voters
Hey those in the know. I saw on GitHub the firmwares etc for BrewPi. Is it open source and therefore if I have an Arduino and RPi can I simply download and install and have myself a fully functioning BrewPi?

I've got an Arduino Mega with various relay modules and Fotek clone SSRs. Stripping the panel down at the moment to rebuild to my needs. This would help me get things moving a lot faster if my assumption is correct.

Ps. I think I'll change to Inkbird SSRs, they appear to be a Chinese version of a genuine Fotek.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Hey those in the know. I saw on GitHub the firmwares etc for BrewPi. Is it open source and therefore if I have an Arduino and RPi can I simply download and install and have myself a fully functioning BrewPi?
yep
I have a RPi, Arduino Uno, a 2 channel external relay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Two-2-Channel-Relay-Module-With-Optocoupler-For-PIC-AVR-DSP-ARM-Arduino-5V-New-/181752994310)
Few wires, a power supply, a couple of external temperature probes and a bit of code understanding/stuffing around and BAM

BrewPi setup :)

That's awesome!! All I don't have is the Pi, saves me mucking about trying to learn the code from the ground up. [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Will attempt to incorporate level sensing with an aquarium pump bubbler (already got the gear and code for this) into the BrewPi code

Backpedalling here, just realised they are yet to realease a 3V or Mash control software for BrewPi. Might have to try the CraftBrewPi as an alternative for the mean time.

Took a further step back and did some thinking about what I am after at this stage with my 3V RIMS rig control. Right now I would be more than satisfied if the controller was able to:

1. Measure Pot level (via already installed bubbler/P-sensor) onto a computer screen interface in real time (Web or local, web is more flexible).
  2. Measure Pot temperatures (already have DS18B20 sensors in thermowells) onto a computer screen interface in real time (Web or local, web is more flexible).
  3. Control RIMS element for mash control with PID loop (have the SSR, DS18B20 and thermowell on RIMS tube outlet).
  4. Control Kettle element(s) with PWM? (Would required different SSR's than I already have) - stretch target, as my two elements can be utilised depending on my batch size for a reasonable boil off rate that I am happy with already.
Considerations:
  • If controlling RIMS element based on temperature, how to incorporate safety, ie. don't allow element to be turned on unless the pump is running. I have manual ball valves also, so there will be an element of risk with this that I will have to manage as the brewer hands on.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Considerations:
  • If controlling RIMS element based on temperature, how to incorporate safety, ie. don't allow element to be turned on unless the pump is running. I have manual ball valves also, so there will be an element of risk with this that I will have to manage as the brewer hands on.
My HERMS heat exchange (which is currently a bunch of parts in a box) will include a stainless water-level switch.
So if it "boils" dry, the heat will no longer turn on, and maybe a red flashing LED on top of the tank.

The only outstanding issue right now is that I don't know how good the stainless is. I guess time will tell.

-kt

kaiserben said:
We haven't been able to get our hands on a Pi Zero to try that
So I recently bought a Pi Zero. I had to buy it in a "starter kit", including some parts/cabling that I already owned, because nowhere in Aus was selling a Pi Zero by itself. So that bumped the price up to $38. But I really wanted to test it out and ...

It works fine.

The downside of the Pi Zero compared to a Pi2 or Pi3 is that you have to solder on the GPIO pins yourself. To use wifi you'll need to buy a wifi dongle and a micro USB to USB connector (a connector came with the starter kit I bought).

If I were recommended this to anyone else I'd say just grab a Pi3, which has the GPIO pins ready to use and has in-built wifi & bluetooth (I paid $56.20).

Other

RPi/Arduino whatever pissy arse little gay microprocessor pieces of crap just suck. They aren't kids play - they are infuriating and flaky.

Buy a PLC and a touch screen HMI - will be robust, it will work, programming is done in a logical language not Swahili - sure they cost more to buy to start with but time is money and the months you will save instead of debugging will be repaid in spades.

Proper PID interfaces
Computer based HMI systems to event log/data log to your hearts content
You don't need to speak a stupid stack based if/then/else langauge

PLC's are kids play

Its Friday.

RM

roger mellie said:
Other

RPi/Arduino whatever pissy arse little gay microprocessor pieces of crap just suck. They aren't kids play - they are infuriating and flaky.
Stop sugar coating it tell us what you really think.

Arduino *is* kids play, I spent 2 terms teaching kids how to do basic projects on them after skool.
All of them could do it, even the ones who weren't so good at normal "bookish" school work.

Arduino is programmed in a C/C++ style language, it's fairly simple and there's a truckload of examples.
I've never found them to be "flaky", not even the cheap $3 arduino-nano knockoff boards.
(Although out-of-the-box non-working I/O pins... yes.)

Mr Wibble said:
Arduino *is* kids play...
If you're using the IDE it is -- you can follow any number of online tutorials and have an example sketch running in <10 mins. The IDE can be limiting at times due to the "translation" between coding used in the IDE and C/C++, though it's typically not an issue for the majority of users.

The reason Arduino is so popular is because it can be as easy or as difficult as you want it to be. You can write a decent sketch in the IDE to make X do Y in ten minutes or less, or you can write your code in C/C++ and have complete control over the microcontroller (there are even some folks using pure assembly, from what I've read).

Latest posts

Back