Raring To Go. Kits Now But Which Hops To Grow?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pocketdelight

Reaction score
Hello from Tassie :)

Just bought the basics in equipment (with an integrated aquarium heater) and have a Coopers Sparkling Ale kit on the go ready to bottle in a couple of days (on day 9). Used the supplied yeast, added 300g regular white sugar, 1000g malt from the brew shop plus 500g of yeast extract I had in a tin in the pantry LOL. I'm a bit of a risk taker ;) Just a tad anxious about air/oxygen in the fermenter that's all.

I'm on acreage with lots of space for some hops so it makes sense to get some in now so when I'm experienced enough to move off the kits I can .... did a bit of research online about varieties and have been offered rhizomes of Cascade, Hallertau, hersbrucker, tardif de burgoyne and maybe some others from a Tassie supplier. Rhizomes are 8" long x 1" with lots of roots and some new growth happening. Asking $25 each so I'm hoping they can be cut up. What do you think? How big should each piece of rhizome be? How many bits of new growth should there be on each piece? Be a shame to cut them too small and ruin the job.

Next question :) I like English ale and bitter through winter with perhaps a crisper lager style in the warmer summer months after a hard days graft :) Which 3 hop varieties would you suggest I grow?

Great site ... not absolutely confident about where to post so be kind.

500g of yeast extract :blink: You are a risk taker lol

For my english ales i like to use Fuggles or Goldings but its just a personal preference. Maybe buy some pellets before the rhizomes so you know which ones you like. For maybe a lager, Czech Saaz seems to be popular, so does Amarillo. Again its all personal preference, if you go to one of the suppliers at the top of the page they list the hops tastes, aromas etc so you get a decent idea on what to buy.

Herbucker and cascade would be the best choice of the rhizomes on offer. I grow all those varieties in Melbourne and the two I mentioned gow best.

I like English ale and bitter through winter with perhaps a crisper lager style in the warmer summer months after a hard days graft :) Which 3 hop varieties would you suggest I grow?

Sounds good apart from the yeast extract. Might want to save this lot for the next Xmas in July Lotto.
Good luck with the hops. I'm jealous of your acreage :icon_drool2:
If it can only be 3 then I'd go for Fuggles, Hallertau and Cascade... but then if I had "acreage", I'd be growing 10+ varieties.

Yes with hindsight the dip into the pantry for extras was reckless. Guarantee I'll drink it though LOL.
Thanks for the suggestions so far. So much to learn.

Hydrometer 1015 a couple of days ago on day 6 of fermentation. (Used 22 to 24 temp) Sitting at 14 to 16 since with rare bubble expelled. Tassie :) Tasted it and instantly transported back to childhood when I lived above my dad's Courage pub in UK :) I'm in it for the booze, the joy of making it myself and ultimately the possibly of refining the brew via home-grown hops and ingenuity.

Well hey, you might have stumbled onto a new taste sensation. Don't forget to name it.

Herbucker and cascade would be the best choice of the rhizomes on offer. I grow all those varieties in Melbourne and the two I mentioned gow best.

+1 for the cascade best grower out of my lot next would be chinook then the golding's.

saaz is good .

well.. I like it.

Tassie = cascade ....when I think of tassie and hops.

I'm on acreage with lots of space for some hops so it makes sense to get some in now so when I'm experienced enough to move off the kits I can .... did a bit of research online about varieties and have been offered rhizomes of Cascade, Hallertau, hersbrucker, tardif de burgoyne and maybe some others from a Tassie supplier. Rhizomes are 8" long x 1" with lots of roots and some new growth happening. Asking $25 each so I'm hoping they can be cut up. What do you think? How big should each piece of rhizome be? How many bits of new growth should there be on each piece? Be a shame to cut them too small and ruin the job.

Next question :) I like English ale and bitter through winter with perhaps a crisper lager style in the warmer summer months after a hard days graft :) Which 3 hop varieties would you suggest I grow?

I would keep your first year rhizomes as-is, but leave sufficient planting room for more, when they start to die back after the first season, basically any of the main bine material will convert to rhizome if you bury it. I would bet that you can generate higher yielding 2nd and 3rd year plants by doing this method than splitting your initial rhizome material.

Cascade is already grown in Tassie, but be aware that all varieties will taste different to the pelletised stuff grown in regions like Germany. How much do you like Pride of Ringwood?

I found the last summer in melbourne a bit wet for some varieties, cascade went fine, nugget went really well. Willamette was good but some suffered rot but recovered (chinook, goldings). POR was ok. Also, spider mites are a big issue in summer so be sure to give them a good blast with the hose every few days in summer to keep them at bay (they will web up your flowers and stunt the growth).

One vine in a pot grown up a rope can easily yield 1-2 oz of dried hops which is perfect for an autumn brew. The more the better really, they will go quick.

If you like english style go for willamette, goldings and fuggles. If you like aussie style POR all the way. If you want american ales grow cascase or chinook and amarillo. Super fun to grow and harvest (wear long sleeves and cotton gloves or you'll suffer)... and when you taste your first homegrown dry hopped beer it's hard to wipe the smile off you face. Just don't ruin them with a cheap kit.. get something with decent extract or go for a fresh wort kit. Or... go AG!

Yandy

I found the last summer in melbourne a bit wet for some varieties, cascade went fine, nugget went really well. Willamette was good but some suffered rot but recovered (chinook, goldings). POR was ok. Also, spider mites are a big issue in summer so be sure to give them a good blast with the hose every few days in summer to keep them at bay (they will web up your flowers and stunt the growth).

One vine in a pot grown up a rope can easily yield 1-2 oz of dried hops which is perfect for an autumn brew. The more the better really, they will go quick.

If you like english style go for willamette, goldings and fuggles. If you like aussie style POR all the way. If you want american ales grow cascase or chinook and amarillo. Super fun to grow and harvest (wear long sleeves and cotton gloves or you'll suffer)... and when you taste your first homegrown dry hopped beer it's hard to wipe the smile off you face. Just don't ruin them with a cheap kit.. get something with decent extract or go for a fresh wort kit. Or... go AG!

Yandy

I've never seen Amarillo rhizomes for sale in Australia. Where have you seen it sold?

We've had the wettest winter for many years in southern Tassie (so the locals tell me). Ground is still saturated and lots of runoff. Will choose my growing area well. Good advice about spider mite. Thanks. I don't use chemical sprays :)
Sally

Thanks. I'll try that.

If you have the space, get a nice mix and one of each - if they are in full sun, watered and fed well, your yields will be great - my 2 year old hops are delivering a couple of pounds each. I started with EK Goldings, Chinook and POR, but have found the more I brew the more I have moved to APA's and IPA's. Just scored a lovely cascade rhizome but have more EKG in the fridge than I know what to do with....

Coopers Sparkling Vegemite Ale?

couldn't help myself ... tested a stubbie after only one week in the bottle. Burp. Bloody amazing~! :) Will be fantastic at 3 months if there is any left LOL. Just bought Coopers European Lager to brew. Guy in the shop tells me it must stay in the bottle for 6 months then it's amazing.

Latest posts

Back