Ramping Up For First Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thanme

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been planning on getting myself into brewing for AGES now, but finances haven't really let me, but now the tax man has been nice to me, I'm going to go all out and grab what I need to get started. In the meantime, I've been doing heaps of reading (forums and a couple of books I picked up) so I think I'm ready, but I want to clarify some things, and who better to ask, right?

So where am I at?? I've cleaned up my shed and made myself some room. Awesome. I scored myself a chest freezer (thanks doogiechap :D) and plan on doing the temperature control properly from day 1. So I'm about to order myself a tempmate, because it seems like all the cool kids are ;) I've got someone lined up to wire it up for me too, so that's ok.
First question is around heating. What's the differents or pros and cons of a heat belt of a heat pad?? I get the impression that a belt would be a more even heat, but I dunno. All I know is the pads are significantly more expensive.

Once I'm ready, I'm going to get my "starter kit" from Malthouse Brewing Supplies, because they seem really well priced, and give you a choice of beer kits so you can pick where to start.
Next question..I'm really keen to jump straight into adding hops to a brew because it sounds like they'll be worth their weight in gold.
This thread made it sound pretty simple. My question is around how do I know what hops to choose? I have no clue about any with respect to flavour/bitterness/armoa, so what would be my best way to start learning? Would I make a batch with a single hop type? Or do I jump in and try a coupel straight away?? From reading, I really like the sound of amarillo (also a sucker for JSGA) or galaxy. I'm probably going to look at doing an APA type kit to begin with.

Also, how well do hops travel?? I'm in WA and figure it would be good to get hops from Craftbrewer when I order my Tempmate (and I haven't seen anywhere local with Amarillo, but I haven't looked that hard yet), but that's obviously not an option if they need to be kept cold or whatever.

So yeah. As far as the theory goes, I think those questions should fill in my gaps, then it'll be time for the practice!

Thanks!

Try Gryphon Brewing, they're local(ish) and have Amarillo.

The heat belt is probably better, I don't like the idea of heating up the trub, and you're warming it, not cooking it!

You're right about heating the yeast but in that chest freezer he could keep a pad away from the fermenter and just heat the space instead. That's how I do it in my fridge anyway. Seems to work pretty well.

I have no clue about any with respect to flavour/bitterness/armoa, so what would be my best way to start learning?

Try as many beers as you can and you'll soon start to pick it up - that's how I've tackled it anyway. Then when you work out what qualities you wish to replicate you can get pretty much all that info here.

Sounds like you're well on the way to become one of us... that is "addicted".

Make sure your sanitation is up to scratch, very important, personally I use bleach/vinegar combo, search on the forums there is plenty of discussion. Never had an infection so far.

As for hops... there is no simple guide but in a nutshell there is a semi distinction between bittering and flavour. As above try LOTS of different beers, german/czech pils with use lots of noble hops (saaz, tettnang, northern, etc) whilst the American Pales use US hops (cascade, amarillo, chinook, etc).

I assume you're starting with kits... but try some single hop short boils and perhaps even dry hop with each kit and take lots of notes as to taste, smell, mouthfeel, etc even if it seems silly. Your appreciation and senses will develop over time.

Good luck and may the brew "force" be with you.

I have never been to Perth and don't know what the climate is like but long-serving members there such as Katie would be able to advise you on heating and cooling requirements. However I would suggest that if the beer in the fermenter is likely to fall under 15 degrees over the winter then you can switch to using lager yeasts such as s-23 that are available from local home brew shops, as well as Craftbrewer. They will happily ferment down to about 10 degrees and will also give you a nicer beer than many of the yeasts that come under the lids of the tins.

Hops that come from Craftbrewer are shrink / vacuum packed in foil packs and it would probably take a worldwide nuclear weapons exchange to damage them. Personally as soon as I get them I pop them in the freezer but I have successfully kept them just in the fridge as long as I am using them within a month or two. Hops have been used for centuries before freezers were invented.

If you are doing an APA style brew, don't forget the beautiful New Zealand hops available such as B Saaz, Green Bullet, Nelson Sauvin etc which are fresh and cheaper than the current USA offerings, and give similar flavours.

Cheers and happy brewing :icon_cheers:

Possibly but I can't think of a better one.

Excellent. Thank you all for the replies :)

So I think my first attempt will be a single hop Amarillo APA. I also like the idea of the heat pad heating "space". It sounds like less messing around than a heat belt :p
I can already tell that not long after tasting my first batch, I'm going to grab a 2nd fermenter with and try 2 slightly different ones and blah blah blah. I never thought about taking beers I liked and looking for clone recipes to find out what was in them. Makes perfect sense :p

Can someone please just clarify for me what "dry hopping" actually is? From what I can tell, it involves adding unboiled hops, but do you just dump them in the fermenter, or is that what a hop sock is for??

Thanks again :)

You can use a hopsock if you want but dumping them right in works too.

Sounds like you're ready to brew to me. Have fun with it!

We have four fermenters going at the moment our fermenting fridge has a lager in it so we are fermenting our ales in the house I guess there all sitting around 15 -16, all ales yeasts and combination. There going along fine. I dont think you need a heating pad or belt. Im a bit suss on the pads I wouldnt like direct heat like that on the bottom of my yeast cake.

edit: just noticed Adamt said the same. I wouldnt go to the expense of a belt either. Save your money for more equipement you defiantly want down the track.

Awesome. Thanks :)

I'm sure I'll be posting stories of my adventures along the way.

NME

Things I've picked up over the months.

10ltr stainless steel pot
Kitchen thermometer (-20/100deg)
Glass measuring jugs - both kitchen/lab
Accurate kitchen scales
Large stainless steel whisk
Large commercial strainer

Check the web/HB websites for simple hop descriptions (currently doing an English IPA with Target hops for bittering, Goldings for taste/aroma)... simple rule boil bittering hops for 30min+, taste hops -30min, add aroma hops when you turn the flame off/dry hop. My suggestion for your APA use Chinook for bittering, Cascade for flavour/aroma - but really just be prepaired to throw things together, don't worry about making mistakes!

If your using heat pads/belts get a timer - nothing worse than remembering at work that you left the pad/belt on (up there with leaving the iron on!) RE: pads its not like putting the fermenter on the stove, a very slow/low heat, but each to their own.

Cheers Bob. I was definitely thinking about a cheap pot to get me started. I keep reading they are always cheap in K-mart/Big W.
I also picked up a set of digital scales from DealExtreme (thanks to some other thread I read).
Will definitely look into the other stuff.

Yeah my heating will be attached to a Tempmate, so that's cool :)

Thanks for the input.

We have four fermenters going at the moment our fermenting fridge has a lager in it so we are fermenting our ales in the house I guess there all sitting around 15 -16, all ales yeasts and combination. There going along fine. I dont think you need a heating pad or belt. Im a bit suss on the pads I wouldnt like direct heat like that on the bottom of my yeast cake.

edit: just noticed Adamt said the same. I wouldnt go to the expense of a belt either. Save your money for more equipement you defiantly want down the track.

Re fermenting fridges: "Brew strong" has a recent episode which includes discussion of a controller (Jamil uses it) that allows an ale and a lager to brew in the same fridge. ie one is heated, the other is cooled. Both from the single controller. Nice...

Cheers

I ferment in a fridge and with the current overnight temps, the insulation of the fridge isn't enough to maintain the ferment at ale temps. I use a cheap aquariam heater that has it's own temp gauge which I put in the brew to keep the temps up over night. If it get's too high the fridge kicks in with the temp mate. Hasn't turned on in a long time. I got it from Big W for around $20 as well as a 20L pot for the same price.

Where in Perth are you? I get most of my stuff from Nev at Gryphon Brewing http://www.gryphonbrewing.com.au/store/index.php top bloke, good help and prices are spot on. Another large shop is http://www.homebru.com.au/ TWOC at stock road markets. A bigger range, but I've not shopped there.

Get your second fermenter from Bunnings in the section of water cans and eskies. Make sure to buy a tap with it as well You may want a second one so that you can rack and condition in the secondary. Always handy to have.

One piece of advice is to try and think about how you will be brewing down the track and then see if you can plan your equipment accordingly. I went out and purchased a 20L robinox pot as I was eager to get into steeping and partials, now already into AG and have to do split boils using two 20L pots. Should have planned ahead and got a 50L pot or saved some money and bought them both from Big W.

cdbrown: You actually put the aquarium heater in the brew itself?? Is that safe?? Like, as far as being sterile goes??

Went to Big W today and picked up a 19L stock pot for $20. Stoked :D

I'm in Gosnells, so I guess TWOC isn't that far. Be worth taking a trip out there anyway.

Went to Big W today and picked up a 19L stock pot for $20. Stoked :D

I'm in Gosnells, so I guess TWOC isn't that far. Be worth taking a trip out there anyway.

Was that a stainless steel pot or a aluminium? I'm looking at getting a 10+ltr stainless steel stock pot and kmart had one for under $80 at bullcreek.

Also TWOC is an awesome place. I feel like Homer in chocolate land when I'm in there.

Was that a stainless steel pot or a aluminium? I'm looking at getting a 10+ltr stainless steel stock pot and kmart had one for under $80 at bullcreek.

Also TWOC is an awesome place. I feel like Homer in chocolate land when I'm in there.

Big W regularly have ss stockpots 19 litres for around $20, less on special. I wouldn't expect to pay more than $20 for a 15 litre.

Yeah it was stainless and cost a touch under $20.

Back