Rakau

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobB

Reaction score
Brewing Usage
Dual Purpose

Aroma
Fresh orchard fruits, specifically apricot with some resinous pine needle characteristics are noted

Possible Substitutions

Typical Beer Styles
  • Ale

Additional Information

Released from the New Zealand Hop breeding program

Alpha Acids
10.0 - 11.0%

Beta Acids
5.0 - 6.0%

Co-Humulone
~24%

Total Oil
~2.2 mL / 100g

Myrcene
~56% of total oil

Humulene
~16.3% of total oil

Caryophyllene
~5.2% of total oil

Farnesene
~4.5% of total oil

General Trade Perception
Well suited for new world styles where brash fruity character and big, but well constructed bitterness is desired
MOD: Description entered by Lord Raja Goomba I, for consistency. Original post below:

I've exhausted my hop supplies and have decided to re-stock with previously untried kiwi varieties.

I know B and D Saaz and Nelson Sauvin have many fans on AHB, but a search on Rakau produces a fairly meagre and unhelpful list.

Any first hand opinions out there?

Looks like you can be the guinea pig, don't forget to weigh in with your thoughts. :lol:

guinea_pig_sports_02.jpg

I've exhausted my hop supplies and have decided to re-stock with previously untried kiwi varieties.

I know B and D Saaz and Nelson Sauvin have many fans on AHB, but a search on Rakau produces a fairly meagre and unhelpful list.

Any first hand opinions out there?
I'm in a similar boat to you Malty. Lots of Kiwi hops, but little knowledge.

I chucked some Rakau in my most recent APA, with equal measures of Southern Cross and Pacific Gem.
But with 5g of each at 15, 5 and 0 min, I wasn't really going for a big hop flavour. It does taste quite tropical fruit-like though...but that could either of the hops.

I'm biding my time to make some single hop lagers/pale ales.

I thought the Saaz D, b and the whole rest of the alphabet had been renamed to Rakau and whatever now that they're out of the 'research' phase ? Though I could be talking out of my ....

B and D are Motueka and Riwaka. Brewed a batch with Rakau right before a heatwave and some fires, was a tipper unfortunately :(

I have my house amber on tap at the moment only late hooped with d-saaz it's going down very nicely, i say give it a go!

I have my house amber on tap at the moment only late hooped with d-saaz it's going down very nicely, i say give it a go!

D-Saaz (riwaka) and rakau are different hops. Malty cultural, if you have access to the Emmersons range of beer they do an imperial pilsner using rakau. I have a packet of rakau that i might use in combination with simcoe in an amber ale. I'll see how it goes.

My contribution to the case swap attempted to evaluate the Rakau hop - unfortunately it wasnt my best effort however from the few comments I got back and subsequent tasting of the last few bottles - I can report that it is similar to other Kiwi hops - with Stonefruit/Mineral characters - not overly herbaceous. I thought it was quite a delicate hop as opposed say D Saaz but it just lacked the je ne se quois - a bit bland - nothing overly outstanding to report.

Then again - the beer I made was pretty ordinary so that may have robbed from the hop load - quite likely.

I did single hop - I would think that mixing with something like Simcoe would be interesting - although maybe a strong US hop would overdominate. Maybe NS as a bittering hop and Rakau late would be a starter for 10??

I will try it again - in a Summer Ale - with another hop. In the Summer.

Cheers

RM

Malty,

I recently brewed a single hop ale using this. Below is the recipe I used, and it is a cracker. Have had some good feedback from it. I plan to brew this again.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 26.33 L
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 7.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 35.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (3.Grain 86.96 %
0.50 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 10.87 %
0.10 kg Crystal, Dark (Joe White) (110.0 SRM) Grain 2.17 %
15.00 gm Rakau Organic [11.50 %] (80 min) Hops 19.7 IBU
15.00 gm Rakau Organic [11.50 %] (20 min) Hops 11.3 IBU
20.00 gm Rakau Organic [11.50 %] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
40.00 gm Rakau Organic [11.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs US-05 Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 4.60 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 12.01 L of water at 74.7 C 68.0 C

Here is a pic of the glass I just poured myself.

P1010710.JPG

Cheers

HK

Malty,

I recently brewed a single hop ale using this. Below is the recipe I used, and it is a cracker. Have had some good feedback from it. I plan to brew this again.

Recipe Specifications

Ingredients:
------------
1 Pkgs US-05 Yeast-Ale

View attachment 27470

Cheers

HK

looks excellent HK - what flavours did you think stood out? I got definite stonefruit.

RM

My contribution to the case swap attempted to evaluate the Rakau hop

So I have tasted it after all!

Well, after that forehead slapping moment I looked back at my notes for your beer RM and I quite enjoyed it. I seem to recall it being peachy with cracked pepper, which sort of fits with your description of minerally stonefruit.

I certainly enjoyed it enough to add to my order.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Malty,

Recipe Specifications

Ingredients:
------------
1 Pkgs US-05 Yeast-Ale

View attachment 27470

Cheers

HK

Beautiful beer this one, HK's been hiding his best beers out the back the sneaky bugger....

I found this beer to be nicely balanced malt/hops with a stonefruit background that was hard to put my finger on. I got almost an apricoty thing from it, but not quite. (Not a real helpful description, right?)
Beautiful colour too. Going to christen my new brewery with this one this weekend, very very nice. :)

Thanks Dom. I am glad you enjoyed it and are using it as your maiden brew on the new set-up.

Roger, As for flavour I am definitely getting a nice fruityness to it. Could certainly be described as a stonefruit flavour for sure. All I know is I like this beer alot and will be making it again.

Cheers

HK

I made an easy drinking Summer Ale with all Rakau. Pretty subdued stonefruit flavours from memory.

I did another ale in the Summer using half Rakau and Galaxy and the Galaxy dominated.

My suggestion would be in a light lager. Given the high aa% you could just add 1g/L at 5 minutes and then the rest of the bittering addition at 20 minutes.

After a few false starts and an unplanned trip to Jakarta, I finally took this hop for a test drive over the weekend. It was meant to be Homekegger's recipe, but ended up being a bit of a cupboard cleaner as I ran out of ale malt. I made up the difference with leftovers of pils, munich and a touch of wheat but kept the same OG and IBUs.

There's a definite stone fruit aroma from these hops, much like a subdued Amarillo. However there's also an earthy pepper aroma as well which I quite like. I'll know for sure in a few weeks, but my first impressions are very positive.

Look forward to hearing how this turns out. Hopeit as good as mine. ;P

Cheers

HK

I had the first bottle tonight and, as has been mentioned a few times in this thread already, the dominant aroma is apricots. There's something else in there too which I can't quite pick - orange blossom?

I used homekegger's recipe as a guide and made a single hop ale, but I think this hop would also be fantastic in combination with any other fruity varieties.

What really stood out was the smooth bitterness. It's 11.5% AA with low cohumulone so it makes a fantastic early addition.

I think I'll use the rest of this packet in combination with Riwaka (the next hop on my must-try list).

I had the first bottle tonight and, as has been mentioned a few times in this thread already, the dominant aroma is apricots. There's something else in there too which I can't quite pick - orange blossom?

I used homekegger's recipe as a guide and made a single hop ale, but I think this hop would also be fantastic in combination with any other fruity varieties.

What really stood out was the smooth bitterness. It's 11.5% AA with low cohumulone so it makes a fantastic early addition.

I think I'll use the rest of this packet in combination with Riwaka (the next hop on my must-try list).

Do you rate it highly for its flavour/aroma qualities?

Do you rate it highly for its flavour/aroma qualities?

Yes I do. It didn't pack a massive punch - not as much as some of the other fruity hops such as Amarillo, so perhaps it has a lower oil content. But the flavour and aroma still shone through. It's good by itself and I think it would be even better in partnership with with some of the more citrussy hops.

Slowly getting my act together to buy a bunch of NZ hops, sounds like i should put this one on the list.

Latest posts

Back