Rakau

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the first bottle tonight and, as has been mentioned a few times in this thread already, the dominant aroma is apricots. There's something else in there too which I can't quite pick - orange blossom?

I used homekegger's recipe as a guide and made a single hop ale, but I think this hop would also be fantastic in combination with any other fruity varieties.

What really stood out was the smooth bitterness. It's 11.5% AA with low cohumulone so it makes a fantastic early addition.

I think I'll use the rest of this packet in combination with Riwaka (the next hop on my must-try list).

Glad to hear you liked it Malty. It was certainly one of my more fave brews. I will have to bulk buy this hop to make a ton of the stuff.

Cheers

HK

All,

I am considering using this hop "Rakau" in a Kolsch recipe???? Worth a shot?

4kg Pilsner
0.5kg Munich
0.25kg Wheat
0.20kg Carapils

Rakau schedule
10g @ 60mins
10g @ 20mins
10g @ 10mins
10g @ 5mins

Should be about a 30IBU and 5.2%

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers,
Plyers

All,

I am considering using this hop "Rakau" in a Kolsch recipe???? Worth a shot?

4kg Pilsner
0.5kg Munich
0.25kg Wheat
0.20kg Carapils

Rakau schedule
10g @ 60mins
10g @ 20mins
10g @ 10mins
10g @ 5mins

Should be about a 30IBU and 5.2%

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers,
Plyers

That's not a Kolsch...

The hops will work well although I found them a little light on the flavour and aroma compared to other hops and I used 40g at flame out and 35 in the 20-10 minute bracket. looks like a nice beer.

Bump... the quiet acheiver

anybody further to the ancient text above? I just got myself a packet and 'pray' it's here for the weekend, might use it with Citra and a bit of Chinook for the bittering

cmon australia post, dont let me down now!!

Yob

for the record i found this hop very very subtle, even after a few fistfuls of the stuff late in the boil

not unpleasant, just can hardly taste it

Hmmm...using them for the first time today. Good timing on the bump, yob. May go harder than I originally intended. Dunno. Urgh!

I've got a cube of Half-Wit with Rakau sitting around that I've been itching to pitch, really looking forward to trying it .

Recipe:

29L batch
OG: 1.049
IBU: 30

3.1 kg Golden Promise
3.1 kg Wheat Malt
0.2 kg Crystal (90 EBC)

11g Rakau - First Wort
22g Rakau - 15 mins
32g Rakau - 5 mins
45g Rakau - Dry Hop

Latest posts