Radler Style Beer Recipe Wanted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikelinz

Reaction score
Just bought some commercial beer called radler style which the wife loved and of course asked me to brew, Anyone got a recipe?? AG/Partial

rgds mike

Hey Mike

Radler is just 50:50 beer & lemonade. We call them shandies.

You can always mix one up & she'll think you're a legend brewer !

Check out this site.

http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/Radler.html

HWMBO ordered a radler at a German cafe last year. I almost fell off my chair.
"Do you know what that is?"
"Uh yeahhh!"
Waitress: "Its beer and lemonade"
"Oh! I don't want *that*". :)

Always helps to study the phrase book! :)

doesn't have to be a typical shandy. soda water and fresh citrus juice is also acceptable (and tastes better)

neither have citrus juice but do have a horrible dry corn flavour.

Tried the Monteiths Radler in Fiji last year. Very refreshing on a hot day - like you my Mrs loved it & wanted me to make some. I haven't made any yet, but my research indicates it is basically a pils with lemon/lime juice to the secondary.

I seem to recall there were some threads here a while back. Check out this
Info on Monteiths radler here

There are a lot of pre-mixed radlers available in Germany and Scandinavia. They're pasturised and mixed at bottling time. Unless you have a good method of killing off the yeast you're going to struggle to replicate these, as the sugars in the mixer (lemonade, cola, etc) will get fermented out in the bottle by any yeast left over.

I lived in NZ untill a few months ago and my GF loved that Monteith's radler stuff. When we moved here (Aus) they didnt have it anywhere, however given i had tasted the Monteith's one i managed to make a pretty successful analogue using essentially any non-dark beer with a bit of lemon/lime soda syrup/cordial. about 10-15 mls in a bottle would do the trick.

i recall a favorite with the lady was to use one of those low-carb beers (hahn super dry or pure blonde) to make what could possibly beer the worlds most feminine beer <joke>!

I am pretty sure that is how Monteiths makes theirs too (ie w. syrup) - it is awfully sweet if you have more than one bottle. Seems you can get the Monteith's stuff a bit more readily (e.g. The Cherry Tree in Richmond) now so dont have to fake it any more...

So in conclusion, to brew some at home just make a lightly hopped light ale or lager and add some sryup when you serve it...

from my reserch just make a low ibu lager and mix it wth abit o lime cordial i reckon the bickfords would work well but u have to balance it that will take a bit of trial and error

I use a Weizen as the base for mine, then add a few mls of Schweppes Lime Cordial (the one in the glass bottle).
Comes out perfect on a hot summer day.

Doc

for my tastes I'd go the fresh lime juice. I think cordial would make it too much like a sweet lemonade shandy.

for my tastes I'd go the fresh lime juice. I think cordial would make it too much like a sweet lemonade shandy.

Isn't that the whole idea of a radler? :lol:

Maybe you could use the diet Bickfords and add some when bottling it - only artificial sweeteners so wouldn't ferment out.

Just bought some commercial beer called radler style which the wife loved and of course asked me to brew, Anyone got a recipe?? AG/Partial

I do! Like the other brew mates said before, it's beer and lemonade. So I suggest brew an 'ordinary' pils ans after conditioning mix it with lemon or orange lemonade (60:40 - 70:30).

The even better way would be to brew pils and mix it just before serving right in the glass. So you don't need to poison to whole beer! ;)

HWMBO ordered a radler at a German cafe last year. I almost fell off my chair.
"Do you know what that is?"
"Uh yeahhh!"
Waitress: "Its beer and lemonade"
"Oh! I don't want *that*". :)

Always helps to study the phrase book! :)

I really can imagine the face of the waitress... more synonyms in German are "Alster", "Alsterwasser" or "Gespritztes".

If you mix Alt with Coke it would be called "Krefelder", "Diesel", "Drecksack", "Schmutziges".

The expression you use depends on the region you are! ;)

Alex

EDIT: For first attemps get a bottle of CC's Sprite and a normal but good commercial pilsner. Have a try with with a 70:30 ratio!

Isn't that the whole idea of a radler?

I don't think so. try the Barefoot or Monteiths Radler then compare that to the awful 2.5%abv bitburger shandy that lists lemonade as an ingredient. Totally different styles of beers.

it all depends on if you like heaps of sugar or just citrus.

i tried the montieths at the local here, it was quite refreshing.. the barefoot, way too sweet for my liking, seemed a little overdone

Yesterday I've been in the locals supermarket and because of thisthread I read some labels of Radler bottles. Most are made with Pils and some are made with Export. Almost no information about the lemonade but the ratio (beer : lemonade) varies from 50:50 to 70:30.

Alex

You guys must have been drinking a different Monteiths Radler to me. The one I had was terrible - sickly sweet with no redeeming features. Two mouthfuls and down the sink with the rest. I'll take a shandy any day.

If it's a Barefoot Radler, I would suggest:-
  • Morgans Cerveza
    200g Powdered Corn Syrup
    200g Light Malt
    600g Dextrose
    From memory it is not very hoppy, so Morning Fresh would be a possibility :D;-) However, try adding some Cascade.

Back