Radler Style Beer Recipe Wanted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried about five times to replicate the bearfoot radler or a Miller Chill or the Carlton fusion, they are all similar. but then i tried the montieths radler and i think it's better than the rest. might be my own tastes but it's good stuff.

I have tried putting about 100mls of lemon juice and 100mls of lime juice to 18lts of lager before gas injection and that had an overpowered sour taste to it.

I recommend to use less lime than lemon. eg 50mls of lime and 100mls of lemon. this wouldn't be too overpowering. (have done this with fresh lemons and limes squessed and the shop kind). the shop juices are slightly watered down.
this isn't a bad brew.

My next test was using my own made cordial eg traditional, "the stuff kids sell at thier lemonade stands in the from yard". then gas injection. this is ok but the previous brew was better.
The cordial had a few tablespoons of suger in it. haven't bottled this one.

BUT the last test i did was boiling up the rind of 3 lemons during brew day and using that as the boiling water once strained. This is still brewing so i haven't tried it yet but i have heard of this being done before so im trying it.

I like the idea above by adding diet (sugerless) lime juice cordial/surup. To the keg or bottles before 2nd fermentation or gas injection.

I will try this next. feels like cheeting though.
If this works then ill just try to make my own sugerless lime juice cordial or equivelant and that will be added to the brew. being sugerless might be able to add it to the wort before primary fermentation.

like i have said above the Montieths Radler tastes different than the bearfoot etc. as noted above i believe they are two different things.

I plan to try adding lemon juice or lemon lime cordial/ syrup the the beer after primary fermentation during pasturisation. but i have never pasturised before. (can't be that hard).

Love the barefoot style, so does my wife.....

Any results from your last brew?

Not sure if it's a Radler, but we're enjoying a very simple kit and bits lemon quaffer between our heavier partial and BIAB batches.

25l batch:
US-05 yeast (Harvested of our main SNPA brews)
1.7kg tin of beermaster lager goop
1.85kg LDME

O.G. ~1042 -> F.G. 1010

Dry hop to primary with 25g of Cascade or Amarillo pellets. (1 week primary)
One washed lemon cut in two and 'dry hopped' to secondary. (1 week secondary)

We've tried both Cascade and Amarillo. I think the Amarillo just edges it out as it seems to really complement the citrus hit from the lemon.

We'd also prefer to use a lime; but the limes in the 7/11 near our brew space has the shittiest looking limes known to man.

This brew is just a good crisp light quaffer with a lovely refreshing citrus hit. We love it and so do the girls.

Amazing that such an easy drinker can be made so simply!

Cheers

Breezy

Back in the UK when mass produced lagers came out in the 70s they were a rather nasty 3.2% alcohol and a favourite way of drinking them and adding some flavour was to put in a dash of Roses' lime cordial which is virtually identical to our Bickfords. The result was basically a radler.

"Pint of bitter and a lager n lime" was a typical order at the bar for a man and wife in those days and lager was getting such a 'girlie' image that brewers such as Whitbread started doing BUL Stella etc and advertised them as "Stellas for the Fellas". The birth of the lager louts.

My last partial turned out so bland and lacking in malt character that I've been drinking them as a lager n lime with Bickfords, with a splash of lemonade as well for a good lawnmower drop. Fairly similar to a radler. I had a few Barefoots (Barefeet?) on Christmas day that the daughter's boyfriend brought round and on first sip I was back in the UK again :p

Latest posts

Back