Racking ,priming And Bottling Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dags333

Reaction score
g,day all . just have a question as i am just working this all out . i have a cooper pale ale in the fermenter which i added 250g LDM 250g maltodextrin and
500g dextrose. used the kit yeast well it is just about ready to bottle . so i am thinking about bulk priming for the 1st time (i have so many different size bottles) just wondering if this will work . i have 2 fermenters one with the brew and a empty one .so i am thinking would it be ok to transfer the brew in to the empty one ( with a plastic hose) give it a hour bulk. prime it .then bottle it . ?????????? also for the bulk priming i want a medium to high carbonation
i read somewhere 180 grams dextrose to 23L brew .does this sound right . thanks guys just don't want to end up making Vegemite

g,day all . just have a question as i am just working this all out . i have a cooper pale ale in the fermenter which i added 250g LDM 250g maltodextrin and
500g dextrose. used the kit yeast well it is just about ready to bottle . so i am thinking about bulk priming for the 1st time (i have so many different size bottles) just wondering if this will work . i have 2 fermenters one with the brew and a empty one .so i am thinking would it be ok to transfer the brew in to the empty one ( with a plastic hose) give it a hour bulk. prime it .then bottle it . ?????????? also for the bulk priming i want a medium to high carbonation
i read somewhere 180 grams dextrose to 23L brew .does this sound right . thanks guys just don't want to end up making Vegemite

I'd recommend using a bulk priming calculator like this one: http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html Next to each style is a recommended range for carbonation. Find your style, choose the higher end.

Then dissolve the sugar in some water and bring it to the boil. Cool it to below 50 degrees. If you're going to rack (I don't but most do) then there's no need to wait an hour before priming. Just put the solution in the empty fermenter and rack on top, leaving most of the sediment behind. The motion of racking should be adequate for mixing in the priming solution. Give it maybe 10 minutes then start bottling.

Make sure the racking hose and second fermenter are clean and sanitised and try and avoid anything falling in. There is a method of racking tap to tap which is probably the safest. Not something I've done myself but I think you'll find it here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=68

I have started to do bulk priming recently and started with the tap-to-tap hose
connection method (with the transfer from-container sitting on a table above the
transfer to-container on the floor) and found that halfway through the transfer,
the speed gets slowed down to a trickle.

I suspect this is due to the little anti-sediment spout fitting that comes with the
Coopers starter kit I got (fits on the inside end of the tap inside the fermenter)
which has a very narrow opening.

Don't know if you have this also but I think I'm going to leave this spout out in my
next batch since I let my brew condition a little in the second fermenter tub in the
fridge before actually priming and bottling so some sediment getting through wont
be a problem as it will settle soon enough. Cant really remove this spout after
starting a ferment - i.e. don't stick your arm into the brew to remove the spout :D

Anyway, as long as you are reasonably gentle with handling the first fermenter,
the sediment probably wont get stirred up very much. Of course, I also soaked the
second fermenter and hose (12mm food grade from Clark Rubber here in Adelaide
which fits around the tap spout quite well) in Sodium Percarbonate (e.g. Coopers'
Sanitiser) solution overnight and then sterilized both by sloshing with Phosporic
acid (diluted as per instructions and this does not require rinsing).

As for priming calculator, AHB's Bulk Priming (which you ought to have a look at)
page:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...;showarticle=79

has a link to a calculator which is geared for Aussies (using Centigrade, grams, etc)
which eventually goes to:

http://www.aussiehomebrewing.com/AlcoholCh...Calculator.html

One thing to note is knowing what temperature your brew has been exposed towards
the end of the ferment as the temperature affects how much CO2 is retained by the
brew (hotter means more CO2 will be driven out) and this affects how much priming
sugar to put in. If the brew already has a lot of CO2 in it, then adding a moderate
amount of sugar could push the carbonation too high (and make bottle bombs if you're
using glass bottles).

It seems the main factors with the priming calculators is the brew exposed temperature,
the volume you're priming and level of CO2 you're aiming for.

To save having to look at a calculator each time, I've created a priming text file with
tables with all the numbers (which I have attached) by running the calculator through
the different "Desired CO2 levels", brew temp.s, volumes, etc. NOTE this is a draft
and anyone please feel to comment on any errors/issues.

The priming file also lists the carbonation levels of various styles beers and you'll
notice the highest "Desired CO2 levels" are around the 3 mark. For safety, it might
be wise to start around this mark and adjust for future brews (likely to be plenty :) ).
Since there are many variables that can have an effect, it might be safest to start
conservatively.

Cheers,
Tom.

View attachment Priming.txt

Just on the topic of the speed at which the bottles are filled. I noticed in myast brew that the last 5L especially is really slow to fill the bottles via the bottle filler. I'm thinking something to do with the weight of the liquid is less obviously because there is less liquid left so the pressure may be less or something like that?

Anyone encountered/solved this problem? (don't say keg cos it's planned for the near future) I was thinking of putting a sanitized Jerry can full of water, the biggest size I can fit so as to increase the weight in the bottling bucket and maybe increase the pressure and hence the speed at which the bottles are filled. Or am I way off?

put the FV up higher... I wouldnt be putting anything in there mate... sanitised or not.. or develop some patience..

For me, I use a hands free method to bottle so I really dont care if it slows a bit, gives me time to sort other stuff out while the bottles are filling.

:icon_cheers:

the correct length of hose and the FV up well high allows me to simply put the wand in the bottle and it does it's thing, while one is filling Im capping the previous one..

the 'filling station' is the lower wooden table and the hose generally rests on the pot handle below the FV.. I rekon its halved the botteling time..

or doubled the faffing time depending on the day

:lol:

1.JPG

[edit] sepllnig

summery from that link.

Quote "Try different things until they work for you, until you've pimped it down to the bare minimum of steps...and practice practice practice...and if it doesn't work for you, then scrap it and change it again...

Eventually you will find exactly what works for you." un-quote - Spot on

I used to zip round the kitchen on the office chair and was loads of fun... then I got a shed and out of the kitchen ;) and thats a phaark load more fun...

but hay thas my journey :icon_cheers:

Just on the topic of the speed at which the bottles are filled. I noticed in myast brew
that the last 5L especially is really slow to fill the bottles via the bottle filler. I'm thinking
something to do with the weight of the liquid is less obviously because there is less
liquid left so the pressure may be less or something like that?
Anyone encountered/solved this problem? (don't say keg cos it's planned for the near
future) I was thinking of putting a sanitized Jerry can full of water, the biggest size I can
fit so as to increase the weight in the bottling bucket and maybe increase the pressure
and hence the speed at which the bottles are filled. Or am I way off?
Not likely to work anyway - water would just rise up around the sides.
Easiest way to deal with this is to tilt the fermenter/priming vessel so the
beer pools around the tap outlet. I usually put a two foot high stool over
the kitchen sink with the priming vessel on it to bottle. Also I attach the
bottling wand into a short (~4inch) 1/2" silicon tube which then goes over
the tap spout - I find this a good way.

T.

Hmm I will try putting it higher and using my 1/2 inch silicon hose to extend the bottling wand. Hopefully the half inch silicon hose fits my spigot.

Easiest way to deal with this is to tilt the fermenter/priming vessel so the
beer pools around the tap outlet. I usually put a two foot high stool over
the kitchen sink with the priming vessel on it to bottle. ...
Should add that I do this by grabbing the priming vessel lid with left hand and
pushing the vessel at the same time with left arm elbow to tilt while holding
bottle with other hand.

Latest posts

Back