Racking And Bottling Cubes...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0M39A

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I found out that my old man can get empty 20L and 25L HDPE cubes from work, but the only thing is that they have had hand detergent in them. I got a couple and have given them a good soak in bleach, then rinsed them well, and finally gave them a good soak in sodium percarbonate, then a final rinse. they smell clean (no bleach/detergent smells, just a little bit of an odor from the sodium percarbonate).

Do you think that they will be ok for use as a bottling bucket at least, and for lagering/racking brews into? I'm planning on my next brew or the one after being my first lager and obviously need something to lager into, and new cubes around here are pretty expensive.

cheers.

Can't see a problem. Sounds like you've thoroughly cleaned them. I say go for it.

Thanks for the quick reply Geoffi.

I'm just worried that I will taint 23L of lovely beer (and also a few hours work and a few $$$'s) on a cheap cube option...

G'day 0M39A,
If you're in doubt, try filling one with water, let it stand somewhere inside and away from direct sunlight for 24 hours then taste the water. If it doesn't taint the water, it won't taint your beer. Chances are tho, that'll you'll be able to just taste the plastic. I reckon all our beers are slightly plastic tainted but the plastic taste is crowded out by the beer.

G'day 0M39A,
If you're in doubt, try filling one with water, let it stand somewhere inside and away from direct sunlight for 24 hours then taste the water. If it doesn't taint the water, it won't taint your beer. Chances are tho, that'll you'll be able to just taste the plastic. I reckon all our beers are slightly plastic tainted but the plastic taste is crowded out by the beer.

Cheers PoMo,

that did cross my mind, might give it a go. Didn't really want to waste the water, but I just thought I guess I can keep it to boil for my next batch :p

Flush the dunny with it, put it on your plants, mash-in, whatever, it's just 20L. Better than wasting 20L of finished beer ;)

but in the middle of summer when you're on tank water, every little bit is important...

...dump it in the washing machine.... lots of places you can put it when you're done testing.

Or put it back in the tank? Any trace of flavour would be diluted by the huge tank volume, wouldn't it?

fingers crossed there wont be any trace of flavour :p

just gotta get some taps to fit them tomorrow and i'll see how they go.

Back