Racked To 2nd Cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joebejeckel

Reaction score
I have racked 4 brews to secondary's , been in there for nearly a month, Time has just past me by, working sleeping eating, etc, th are stashed under the stairwell, nice and cool and dark, how long can i leave them there before i need to bottle, ?????

joesph bejeckel B)

Aint through lack of trying, I had half a pallet of stubbies not long back although 2 cartons did go into the compost, YUK, and i have handed a few out for critiquing (to much malt they said) so I've been back to the drawing board and buried myself in some books and bought some new test equipment , SWMBO has shut down one of my fridges and wielded her axe and blah blah blah,

I read a post where someone said keep a few cubes stashed and yeast up when your ready, Maybe i misunderstood, i took that to mean keep a few cubes stashed and yeast up when your ready.?

hmmm,

joe

Aint through lack of trying, I had half a pallet of stubbies not long back although 2 cartons did go into the compost, YUK, and i have handed a few out for critiquing (to much malt they said) so I've been back to the drawing board and buried myself in some books and bought some new test equipment , SWMBO has shut down one of my fridges and wielded her axe and blah blah blah,

I read a post where someone said keep a few cubes stashed and yeast up when your ready, Maybe i misunderstood, i took that to mean keep a few cubes stashed and yeast up when your ready.?

hmmm,

joe
They may have been referring to no-chill cubes. Unsure as I don't re-call the post.

I think you can lager/pseudo-lager for quite some time, but that would be a low temperatures (under 5 degrees C) for quite some time. But, if fermented, I would bottle as soon as possible

probably no-chill cubes - you can keep them for months and months. But thats heat sealed unfermented wort. Fermented wort is different.

You need to get a move on - the thing that will get you here is oxygen. It will slowly dissolve through your secondary cubes and through the seals etc, and start to effect your beer. Perhaps resulting in too much ethyl acetate ester, or even in an acetic acid off flavour - or at the very least, your beer is aging in a not well sealed container in relatively warm conditions... its shelf life is ticking away.

You said secondary yes?? So there is minimal yeast in there?? Good, because soon, maybe not yet but soon - yeast autolysis will start to be a factor too and the less there is the smaller the potential issue.

Or the damn things could be great and last a decade once you bottle em ... but I reckon you are starting to bet against the odds

TB

Back