Rack To Secondary, Leave In Primary Or Bottle Condition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some styles benefit from warmer serving temperatures. Some styles don't...eg the majority of Australian commercial beer. But a nice, big, dark stout? Serve that at 12'C or more and you're set. :D

Cheers - boingk

PS: Anyone heard of the sunlight-skunk phenomenon applied to beer left in the sun whilst drinking?

PS: Anyone heard of the sunlight-skunk phenomenon applied to beer left in the sun whilst drinking?
Did it on the balcony having a pork pie for lunch about a week ago... phone rang... back half an hour later and the beer was really not pleasant... kinda like licking a cat's backside, I imagine.

Cheers - Fermented.

Tanner gets you a tenner. First time had someone over for a brew day, so was dirinking pints instead of halves, and brewing outside......beer was still at a reasonable temp, but skunked to hell. Direct sunlight (on a 30C cloudless day) on the glass for about 10min was al it took.One of those days where it wasn't overly hot, but you could really feel the sun, if you know what I mean?

Sounds like today here, butters. And the day before when I went down to the river for a swim. On a related note, steer clear of Banta 'invisible' waterproof sunscreen hahaha.

Wait a sec, brewing outside? Don't reckon the UV would've harmed the brew do you? Paranoid, but still...

Cheers - boingk

When bottling, bring back up to ambient temp (if ambient is close-ish to fermentation temp, and not ridiculously high. I prefer 20-25C for the carbonation, but thats just me.)
<hijack>Why? I ask because when I chilled my last brew I bulk primed and bottled it at the cooled temp, which I'm guessing was a not-so-cool 8 degrees.</hijack>

<hijack>Why? I ask because when I chilled my last brew I bulk primed and bottled it at the cooled temp, which I'm guessing was a not-so-cool 8 degrees.</hijack>

Once the brew is primed and in the bottle, the yeast needs to ferment out the priming sugar in order for it to carbonate. Some yeasts will do that at 8C, but it will take quite some time. Some yeasts will just flocculate out into the bottom of the bottle at this temperature, leaving you with flat beer.
So you ferment, chill, prime and bottle, then raise back to fermentation temperature for the yeast to work. After 2 weeks or so (maybe less, depending on how much fermentable sugar the yeast needs to work through to carbonate), you then do one of three things...continue to store at cool-ish ambient, store at cellar temp (8-12C), or store cold.

edit: I was referring to the bottles themselves being at fermentation temperature whilst the yeast works. You don't need to raise it back up before it goes into the bottle, if the prime was calculated taking the maximum fermentation temp into consideration (like you did, from memory). I usually pull straight out of cold conditioning, prime it, bottle it, then just let the bottles warm up to 20. Leave it at that for 10-14days, then put in a cool spot in the house.

Back