Quick! What Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trussyd

Reaction score
I'm getting a dark mild on this weekend and don't know waht yeast to use. I've got some Brit ale II (1335), W yorkshire (1469), german ale (1007), american ale (1056), Irish ale (1084) and some Australian ale in the fridge. I don't ahve time to get to the homebrew store, so I'm limited to the list above.

malt bill is about:
80% pale
10%crystal
5% roast
5% black

Hops:
EGK to 25IBU

Cheers,

Trussyd

I don't ahve time to get to the homebrew store, so I'm limited to the list above.
That's a pretty good stockpile, mate. If it were me I would lean towards the British or the Irish. Depends on what you want out of your beer.

You're making a british style beer with British Hops. use a british type yeast unless you have a particular reason for wanting to try something different.

+1 to english or irish.

It's getting toward that time of the year, where it'll be fantastic drinking.

IMO - I'd mash high and make a nice warm, thick dark ale. If you want a less stout like dark ale, or something different - tinned cherries, cloves, cardamom and star anise "dry hopped".

Goomba

1469, I've actually found it works well in a darker beer. Makes a great brown ale.

You're making a british style beer with British Hops. use a british type yeast unless you have a particular reason for wanting to try something different.

That was my theory. I was tossing up between 1335 and 1469. I dont really know why I put the others up.

1469, I've actually found it works well in a darker beer. Makes a great brown ale.
Yes it will work fine but its such a great yeast I couldn't not draw myself to use it first up on a dark roasty malt beer. Mite on the second run though.
What did you use in your Brown ? You have me thinking now as I have just pitched 1469 into a Landlord clone and will have heaps to play with in a week or so :icon_drool2:
GB

Yes it will work fine but its such a great yeast I couldn't not draw myself to use it first up on a dark roasty malt beer. Mite on the second run though.
What did you use in your Brown ? You have me thinking now as I have just pitched 1469 into a Landlord clone and will have heaps to play with in a week or so :icon_drool2:
GB

You haven't lived until you throw it at an oatmeal stout. The Srs Bsns stout in my sig was a W Yorkshire yeast (used both Wyeast 1469 and Proculture Wood Ale) and no doubt one of the bet beers I have ever tasted, let alone brewed!

OP - use the 1469 then make a stout next!

My last Dark Mild was fermented with WLP037, Whitelabs version of 1469. Used some of the yeastcake from a Landlordish Ale.
Scored 42.5points to win English and Irish section at the Tanunda show.
So either the Brit Ale or the 1469, keep the others for something more appropriate.
Cheers
Nige

Over the last 2 years, my UK dark mild wins every time I enter it in local and state comps and is done on Ringwood. However the only reason I have used Ringwood is because 1469 was unavailable at the time, and R, being a Yorkshire yeast, is a close cousin so I have subbed it. I would also recommend the 1469.

Thanks for the responses guys!

I got a starter going with the 1469 this morning.

Latest posts

Back