Quick Q On A Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cube

SAY MY NAME, BITCH
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Bottling my last 'kit' brew tomorrow and now stepping up a notch to extract. Tomorrow I am doing the tried and trusted:

My latest variation used JW trad and JW caramalt instead of Wey Pils and Wey Caramunich. Hops adjusted to 20 min and flame-out. No dry hopping. Scored 46/50 at ANAWBS 2008 and was best beer of show (bottle conditioned for 2 months).

KIT VERSION
1 can LME
1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
250g Caramalt (or other light crystal)
60 min bittering addition of 20g of Amarillo
15g Amarillo @ 15, 5 and dry hop.
Yeast - US05

My Q is do I just do my usual 250~300 grm carapils and boil the hops with that and 500 LDME or use the malt or wheat can for the boil and omit the LDME? Or use a malt/wheat can for the hops boil?

Cheers

My Q is do I just do my usual 250~300 grm carapils and boil the hops with that and 500 LDME or use the malt or wheat can for the boil and omit the LDME? Or use a malt/wheat can for the hops boil?

Cheers

hey hey

Steep the caramalt in a grain bag at about 70C for 30 mins. Then remove and add 500g LDME and disolve, then start your hop additions and brew the normal way you brew.

cheers
dickman

Boil the caramalt

Just in case anyone new to specialty grains is reading this - DO NOT BOIL! Just steep at around the temperature stated. I'm sure this was just a slip of the eTongue on Dickman's part.

I'm sure you're already all over that part yourself, Cube.

You can sub out the LDME for some of the goop, no prob. I think you just need to up it by 20% to allow for the water content. Someone can correct me with the exact figure, I pretty much only work with dry extracts.

You could always leave your process as is and have it slightly heavier with a little more bittering to compensate. But perhaps best to stick to the recipe since it seems so well liked as it stands.

[EDIT: Tongue on whatman? Sorry. How rude of me!]

Just in case anyone new to specialty grains is reading this - DO NOT BOIL! Just steep at around the temperature stated.
[EDIT: Tongue on whatman? Sorry. How rude of me!]

Thank you for correcting me, Steep is the word I was looking for, not boil. Your aim should be about 70C for 30 mins with the specialty grains.

So the steeped grain liquid should be boiled up with the hops?

My last brew i added it in after i had boiled although i guess the wort was still quite warm so it should be ok?

My last brew i added it in after i had boiled although i guess the wort was still quite warm so it should be ok?

You must boil the steeped grain liquid for about 15 mins to kill any bugs and stuff. Throw hops in there whilst boiling if required.

How did that brew turn out or is in fermenting?

Yes, the wort from the steeped malt and the rehydrated extract should be combined and boiled. And the hops added to that.

Anything below pasteurisation temp (71.5) risks infection, so if you didn't pick up an infection from the warm wort you might have just gotten lucky!

That's the nice thing about a good roiling boil - you can be a little bit sloppy in the lead up.

hmmm, i've done three brews with steeping grains, a dark ale which was a kit with some crystal and Choc (wasn't boiled at all), this is around 8 weeks old and tasting great.

Then there was an extract pale ale with some added cyrstal (currently two weeks in the bottle) smelt great when bottling.......

Then an amber ale, which is currently fermenting. I guess considering that it was placed into the wort straight after boiling the liquid temperature would have been ~90 - 95oC

--------------

So if i add it at the beginning of a boil does it matter if it is boiled for 60 minutes?

So if i add it at the beginning of a boil does it matter if it is boiled for 60 minutes?

Nope - just adjust for the evaporation mate or keep the lid half or 3/4 on to help reduce it but watch wort until you get to know what temp setting it likes to be on with a lid half or 3/4 on.

Nope - just adjust for the evaporation mate or keep the lid half or 3/4 on to help reduce it but watch wort until you get to know what temp setting it likes to be on with a lid half or 3/4 on.

Hm... what? Just sitting here waiting to see what happens when Cube's icon sneezes a third time

Hm... what? Just sitting here waiting to see what happens when Cube's icon sneezes a third time

That would break the interwebs mate :)

Brew is on just put in the 15 min addition of Amarillo. Had to sub one Amarillo addition with galaxy. Galaxy at 15 mins, all rest Amarillo. Galaxy is from the gods anyway and next one will be all Galaxy :icon_drool2:

Malt and wheat goes in soon -- smell will be interesting to a kit and bits.

Latest posts

Back