Quick Kegging Q - For The Experts!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only carb at serving pressure, so I can, and often do, have three barry's and on willie. The barry's never seem to suffer as it is the reg's job to keep the pressure even. Carbing up is about the beer absorbing the CO2 at a particular pressure, once absorbed it won't absorb any more, neither will it loose any as long as the pressure stays the same. Redges (regulator) job is to keep the pressure feed to the kegs the same.

Gavo.

I only carb at serving pressure, so I can, and often do, have three barry's and on willie. The barry's never seem to suffer as it is the reg's job to keep the pressure even. Carbing up is about the beer absorbing the CO2 at a particular pressure, once absorbed it won't absorb any more, neither will it loose any as long as the pressure stays the same. Redges (regulator) job is to keep the pressure feed to the kegs the same.

Gavo.

Yep that's right.

So glad I've got a manifold. Even still it's only 6-way so I've got some john guest splitters so I can gas up 8 kegs at any time. I follow the set and forget method and it's served me well over time.

Not sure about the transfer of aromas from keg to keg unless connecting the kegs together without turning the gas on. When the gas is on the pressure from the cylinder will prevent the aromas from escaping from one to the other.

I just disconnect willy and take out the splitter. connect barry with just a hose and a no return valve and put gas on the beer out port (have to use a beer out not gas in connector) then just rock the keg on your knee till you hear no more bubbles then let sit for 30mins and repeat then put in the fridge connect the splitter and both kegs and your right to go. Oh i should say the keg should be at serving temp and the reg will never get adjusted with this method so you cant over carbonate your kegs and the equilibrium pressure remains the same.

Edit cant wait to get a manifold as could just run a hose out the collar and just shut the rest of the gas off to the kegs and turn the carbonating hose on then just shut that off and turn the serving ones back on leave you dont have to disconnect all the time plus cant be good pulling the fittings on and off

I got 3 little t pieces from beerbelly that do the job. I really should've got 4 & 4 more no return valves but when I bought my kegs I didn't really have a mental picture of how it was going to go together.

When you have a system in balance where the gas pressure from the regulator, lines, and head space of the existing kegs is at the same pressure, and that pressure is in equilibrium with the existing beer itself, and you add a non-carbonated keg, the not carbonated keg will naturally create a lower pressure atmosphere and will draw co2 away from the gas lines, which will in turn draw co2 from the head space of the existing kegs and from the regulator. However it'll only be 15 seconds or so before the regulator has got the whole system back into a sort of equilibrium again and so this shouldn't affect the carbonation levels of your current kegs in any meaningful way.

However, once the new keg starts absorbing co2 into solution it will again be very slowly drawing co2 out of the gas lines which will in turn be coming from your other kegs and from your reg. The reg will then balance the pressure as well.

So you shouldn't have any carbonation issues with your existing keg.

BUT the transfer of co2 from keg headspace to keg headspace can naturally move beer aromas as well which may not be desirable. I haven't ever noticeably had this problem but it does exist in theory.

Mighty! MB!

Thanks you all for the tips and thoughts...

Having just upgraded to a 6 keg chesty, it is vital info!

Thanks again to all you knowledgable bastards! ;)

:icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back