Quick fishing vid, FNQ

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice.
Cant wait to wet a line in around the Clarence river this x mas. Does it get any better than bobbing around in the sunshine with a cold beer in one hand and your rod in the other.

Dave70 said:
Nice.
Cant wait to wet a line in around the Clarence river this x mas. Does it get any better than bobbing around in the sunshine with a cold beer in one hand and your rod in the other.
Amen Dave! Any other fishos on here? Has to be...

Sure is. Love my fishing. I'm down south. Freshwater for me. Trout in winter cod in summer. Can't wait to get up the murray for a couple of weeks over Christmas :)

Caught my first Barra a few months ago in the harbour in Cairns, couldn't get out of the harbour due to the weather. I'm in the same boat as Curly here in Melbourne, caught a mixed bag of everything on Yarra Boulevard brown trout, carp, roach, bream and mullet in the same sitting. Love catching those big carp.

NIce Nick.
Need to invest in a good esky but mate. A little puppy dies each time I see a red fish in a willow bin instead of in a salty ice slurry (I have a supply of puppies but it is dwindling).
Gaff em, cut em, ice em- makes a huge difference at the table.

Droopy Brew said:
NIce Nick.
Need to invest in a good esky but mate. A little puppy dies each time I see a red fish in a willow bin instead of in a salty ice slurry (I have a supply of puppies but it is dwindling).
Gaff em, cut em, ice em- makes a huge difference at the table.
Yeah droopy, the bin is a blood bin, I keep them in there for five minutes. I have a seat behind me that's a 200L long Mack esky, if got sick of chopping macks in half

I used to do the same thing- stick them under the floor in the blood bin but found it still makes a big difference that 5 minutes. The quicker the fish is killed and put in a slurry the better. You end up with a bit of blood in the ice anyway so doesnt really make much difference letting them bleed out.
Also the ice slurry makes a massive difference to just ice.
You can see it in photos- the fish that have just gone on ice will have white marks where they have been touching other fish and the blood has pooled. You get them into the ice slurry and the colours are vibrant and the flesh is much better for it.

Here is a photo of the last time i went to the reef. These fish had been in there a full day and were just taken out for a quick photo and transfer into an esky out of the boat for filleting (cant lift 200kg of fih and ice out of the boat!) Check out the colour of them.

IMAG0822.jpg

Nice one Droopy,

Yeah I use a slurry mate, but i'll keep doing the five minutes (it's probably less really, just a quick bleed), i slit their gills after i brain spike them, that makes a big difference too as they don't jump around the esky.

Droopy Brew said:
I used to do the same thing- stick them under the floor in the blood bin but found it still makes a big difference that 5 minutes. The quicker the fish is killed and put in a slurry the better. You end up with a bit of blood in the ice anyway so doesnt really make much difference letting them bleed out.
Also the ice slurry makes a massive difference to just ice.
You can see it in photos- the fish that have just gone on ice will have white marks where they have been touching other fish and the blood has pooled. You get them into the ice slurry and the colours are vibrant and the flesh is much better for it.

Here is a photo of the last time i went to the reef. These fish had been in there a full day and were just taken out for a quick photo and transfer into an esky out of the boat for filleting (cant lift 200kg of fih and ice out of the boat!) Check out the colour of them.

attachicon.gif
IMAG0822.jpg

wide eyed and legless said:
Caught my first Barra a few months ago in the harbour in Cairns, couldn't get out of the harbour due to the weather. I'm in the same boat as Curly here in Melbourne, caught a mixed bag of everything on Yarra Boulevard brown trout, carp, roach, bream and mullet in the same sitting. Love catching those big carp.
I had a ball up at Eildon catching carp last weekend, some up around 600mm. Loosen the drag and let em run a bit !
Will be heading out for snapper early this Sunday. Looking forward to it.
Heard they are off the chew at the mo. Hope not.

CF

I usually head over to Unzud around new years and always get a few sunrise sessions of kayak fishing in. About 3-4km off shore and you can easily get 6 or so of the bigger snappers in by 8:30am. A kingfish if you're lucky.

For some reason I have never been really successful this side of the ditch, apart from bream below legal size and the dreaded cat fish in the Brisbane river and Schulz canal between Nudgee and Toombul.

Hoping to get out a bit around Bribie Island this year, will see what that brings. No NZ this holiday unfortunately.

Wish I could get my hands on a nice big carp for a very traditional North German Christmas Eve dinner. Must be at least 25 years since I had those two combined.

Kayak fishing in NZ sounds awesome florian !
You're a lucky man to have even done that once !

CF

wide eyed and legless said:
I used to live up the river there and only got onto a Barra once. Decent size and tasty. I did get a heap of crabs. Make of that what you wish.

While on holiday in England last May I drove past a small lake with a group of guys fishing, I went down to watch them they were fishing a match for money but they weren't using a rod and reel just a long pole with elastic running through the top 3 sections, I watched this with amazement and after watching the first fish caught I was hooked(pardon the pun). I went down a few more days to watch and learn this method they had matches everyday of the week. I couldn't help myself I went and bought a 14 meter pole and all the bits and pieces I needed ended up costing me about $2,500 they showed me at the shop how to set everything up and since getting back here and fishing for carp with it I must say it is the best bit of kit I have ever bought.
There are plenty of video's on youtube showing this method of fishing, so it is easy to pick up more tips.Heres one of a bloke catching a 25lb carp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l2OIKH7YHQ

What a great day in Melbourne today was, big tub of maggots and sat on the bank of the Maribyrnong River caught a shed full of Bream and a few Mullet when the tide turned, a most enjoyable day.

I wonder what the poor people are doing? :)

My daughters attend Cornish College, next door just a few hundred metres away is Carrum river, so instead of travelling 50 minute round trips 2 or 3 days a week I am fishing and picking my girls up on the way home, win win.
Place is teeming with fish and fantastic sport.
IMG_0453.jpg

My daughters attend Cornish College, next door just a few hundred metres away is Carrum river, so instead of travelling 50 minute round trips 2 or 3 days a week I am fishing and picking my girls up on the way home, win win.
Place is teeming with fish and fantastic sport.
attachicon.gif
IMG_0453.jpg
And $2500 sticks with elastic no doubt.

Latest posts

Back