Quick Fermenting, Tasty Beer Sugestions?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djneli

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I thought I had a couple of weeks to get a beer or three ready for a BBQ but as it turns out it is on Saturday 3rd September - so I have 9 days to brew, ferment and carb a couple of beers. Any sugestions for some decent Ale recipes that are OK with zero time to age?

Really pushing it, but an american wheat is very easy drinking, and using US05 at 20c it'll go very fast too.

Id go a simple wheat or Weizen... Can ususally go from Grain to brain in 7 or so days...

Really pushing it, but an american wheat is very easy drinking, and using US05 at 20c it'll go very fast too.

I hadn't even thought of an American Wheat - sweet, thanks for that as it's been a couple of years since I punched one out but I do recall it was tasty.

Assuming you're kegging it or you will be pushing crap up hill to have it done in time.

How many beers can you ferment at a time? Carbing can be done fairly quickly by force carbing at high pressure and rocking the kegs back and forth to increase the interaction between the beer and gas.

Wheat as mje says will generally ferment very quickly, using wheat yeast is good to provide the flavours to go with the style (phenols, esters). They go great from fermenting temps direct to keg as they are cloudy beers.

An aussie pale ale? Check recipedb. Any ale will ferment out in 4 or so days given a healthy yeast pitch and 18-20c ferment temp. I'd recommend chilling for a few days with gelatine to drop out the yeast.

How many beers can you ferment at a time? Carbing can be done fairly quickly by force carbing at high pressure and rocking the kegs back and forth to increase the interaction between the beer and gas.

Wheat as mje says will generally ferment very quickly, using wheat yeast is good to provide the flavours to go with the style (phenols, esters). They go great from fermenting temps direct to keg as they are cloudy beers.

An aussie pale ale? Check recipedb. Any ale will ferment out in 4 or so days given a healthy yeast pitch and 18-20c ferment temp. I'd recommend chilling for a few days with gelatine to drop out the yeast.

I can ferment up to four beers at a time (at a stretch). I was hoping to do a German Pilsner for the bbq but that is out the window considering the time. And I keg and force carb. I've got a Sierra Nevada clone that will be ready to keg around Tuesday / Wednesday next week, but that really needs a good two weeks for the flavours to meld to the beer - but I'll prob give that a crack too.

Ive done nick jd's aussie lager in 9 days.

I used us-05 instead of what he suggested.
4kg JW Trad ale (?)
27 Grm POR
at 18 -20 dgrs for a week will get it close I reckon...maybe not ideal.

Wyeast Irish Ale yeast will ferment out nicely at around 24 in around 60 hours. Fine to buggery and crash chill at zero for a couple of days, bottle off the first few litres then keg the rest - by which time you will be getting the clear top 3/4 of the fermenter into the keg. Carb at 200 Kpa for a couple of days.

I've just done a UK summer bitter as an experiment, pitched last Thursday and kegged on Monday.

ordinarybitterLarge.jpg

It's only 3.5% ABV but a 4.8 should be quite doable in your time frame.

Ale malt
5% Caramalt
Willamette or Challenger for UK style, or bung in some Cascade etc for the Golden Ale lovers.

Edit. for a quicker cleaner job you could double drop it after 15 hours. I was going to do that with my batch but by the time I got to it, it was already clearing out from the top :eek:

Edit: hey neli, just spotted your username - I'll be bringing a bottle for sampling tomorrow night, see what you reckon :beerbang:

Notts is another quicker fermenting yeast, is available dry, and tolerates higher and lower temps (14-21 degrees). At lower temps 14-18 degrees, it has a lager-like quality.

Goomba

Edit. for a quicker cleaner job you could double drop it after 15 hours. I was going to do that with my batch but by the time I got to it, it was already clearing out from the top :eek:

Edit: hey neli, just spotted your username - I'll be bringing a bottle for sampling tomorrow night, see what you reckon :beerbang:

Nice one, thanks for that tidbit of info mate - I'm def looking forward to giving it a crack tomorrow evening!

Notts is another quicker fermenting yeast, is available dry, and tolerates higher and lower temps (14-21 degrees).

+1 The last few beers I've done with Nottingham have pretty much fermented and dropped out in 3-4 days

Back