Quick Bulk Priming Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proudscum

Reaction score
Am going to bulk prime my case swap Steam beer
(its tasting so good i dont know if i want to swap it.)
and havent bottled for 10 years and when i looked at the calcs the amount of sugar/dex seems alot less than i remember using, i put it down to in the past bottled at room temp where when i bottle this time will be at 1-3 oC is this because of the amount of dissolved co2 at lower temps means less priming agent......dont want to f@@k this one up!

Cheers as 23 other people are depending on me getting it right.

PRoudscum

Use the maximum temperature that has been reached since fermentation has finished, since no more co2 is being produced, that should govern how much is retained in the beer.

[edited for clarification hopefully]

Use the maximum temperature that has been reached since fermentation has finished, since no more co2 is being produced, that should govern how much is retained in the beer.

[edited for clarification hopefully]

thx for that will look at the calcs and work it from there. cheers.

Actually highest point reached during or after ferment (whichever is highest and discounting sharp spikes).

Apologies for my previous assertions that suggest it's only post ferment that counts. I misinterpreted some reading on which I've since been corrected.

The chill of cold conditioning/lagering has no bearing on it in any case.

One of the legends of AHB wrote a very comprehensive article on the logic behind bulk priming calculation.

Rather than rephrase it here, and make a hash of it, I'll just post the relevant link.

Have had a little time tonight to surf the subject and found this article by Mark Hibberd which has got my head around the subject,so thanks for the replies it stopped me rushing off and doing the wrong thing after having spent six weeks nursing these beers along.

http://www.brewery.org/library/YPrimerMH.html

Its the thing i like about this forum you ask a simple question and then you end up researching the answers ppl offer and then hopefully you can give a little back.

Cheers SCum

Latest posts

Back