Questions Re: Selecting Gas And Beer Line

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel80

Reaction score
Hi All,

new to kegging, just kegged my first brew for storage whilst i setup my chest freezer for dispensing it.
I have questions regarding gas lines and beer lines.

With regard to the gas line:
1) is there any performance benefit between 5mm and 6mm ID tubing?
2) what tubing are the Americans using in their youtube videos? (blue and red gas lines). Is there a local source i can get this in Perth? Is it just air hose for air compressors etc?

With regard to Beer lines:
1) I read that having some flow restriction in the line helps control the poor and reduces foam. Is 2M sufficient length for each beer line? or does this vary depending on the ID of the hose?
2) Is 5mm/6mm/8mm line the best? I will be serving mostly ales (english type bitters will be my preferred brew going forward) and plan on serving them at about 8-9 degrees.

Chest freezer has room for gas bottle and 3x kegs.
I have a 2.6Kg gas bottle
1x Dual Reg (not dual guages, but dual reg)
No beer line, no gas line, clamps yet
2x Faucet / Shanks / Handle combos from Ebay with a downward facing barb.
4x kegs with 2x sets of disconnects (ball lock).

What else for i need / should i look at investing in for serving my preferred style of beer?

Would like to build up the kegerator within next 3 weeks.

Cheers,
Diesel80

This article: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=24
... and the spreadsheet linked at the bottom of the page, should answer most of your questions about beer line diameter and lengths.

I just brought a 30m roll of beer line and will use it for both beer and CO2since it was cheaper than buying smaller amounts of line for both purposes.
However, I believe that Clark Rubber sell the reinforced stuff that is used in some of the USA-based videos.

Thanks wolfy! Both those links have come up trumps for me. legend.

250psi rated air hose appears to be the 'coloured' hose from the videos. The big green shed should have some, but Enzed should be cheaper.

That spreadsheet looks the goods!

Cheers,
Diesel80

This article: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=24
... and the spreadsheet linked at the bottom of the page, should answer most of your questions about beer line diameter and lengths.

I just brought a 30m roll of beer line and will use it for both beer and CO2since it was cheaper than buying smaller amounts of line for both purposes.
However, I believe that Clark Rubber sell the reinforced stuff that is used in some of the USA-based videos.

In addition to the John Guest stuff, you also can get the Valpar Flexmaster and Brewmaster tubes with different numbers on them, some also have coloured stripes. Try calling someone like Andale or one of your local beverage system service techs, the locals may even have offcuts they will give you for little or nothing.

Diameter wise, 5mm (or better 4mm) will be better for home setup since it has more flow resistance than 6mm so you'll need more length or flow control taps. Not a problem if you get the 6mm for a good price. only problem with the 4mm is you will probably not get it on the tap barb without a barbed joiner and a short piece of 6mm

Back