Questions about Homebrew Legality in Queensland

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ATO has sent Liam Neeson on a special assignment to hunt down Yob.

GalBrew said:
What happens with the Highland games Yob? The ATO is not involved in that is it?
nope, not required.. only if you are selling it, as we are giving it away, we only need the temporary liquor licence.

Ducatiboy stu said:
If you are holding the function at a private premises, not selling it, you would be OK

If your are in a public place and are, in general, part of an event ( or even associated with an event ) then you will need licencing ( regardless if only "Members" are drinking the beer )

As far as Excise goes, you will have to pay, and its not simply a matter of going to the ATO and saying " I have 200ltrs of beer at 5%, how much excise do I need to pay " The ATO are anal about excise and your gear for measuring volume will NEED to be calibrated by a NATA lab.
Agreed,

I spoke to a representative of the ATO to make preliminary inquiries for starting my own brewery. The ATO wants differentiation of a place of alcohol production for sale, and one that is used by a home brewer. I would need an independent premises, lockable and accessible by the ATO. Ingredients inventory, records of brewing, evidence of sale, distribution and disposing of unsuitable (infected) batches. Absolute testing of ABV wasn't discussed but I expect this step. I don't believe I can use my commercial brewery for my home brewing....i.e. need to double my equipment. That's where I shelved my research for a while.

The latest example that I know of in support of the OP's ambitions is the Samford show here near Brisbane. Brewer's choice had a marquee showing their wares and provided beer on tap for patrons. The patrons paid the enter. Brewer's Choice won't have been paid for their stall. Maybe there is overlap in some regards as there is a beer judging competition as well. A temporary license with serving volume limitations perhaps.

+1 Bomber Watson's observation too.

What is the cost of a temp liq license?

zorsoc_cosdog said:
Agreed,

I spoke to a representative of the ATO to make preliminary inquiries for starting my own brewery. The ATO wants differentiation of a place of alcohol production for sale, and one that is used by a home brewer. I would need an independent premises, lockable and accessible by the ATO. Ingredients inventory, records of brewing, evidence of sale, distribution and disposing of unsuitable (infected) batches. Absolute testing of ABV wasn't discussed but I expect this step. I don't believe I can use my commercial brewery for my home brewing....i.e. need to double my equipment. That's where I shelved my research for a while.
I too did the same thing a few years back....

Its was a very hefty process. The premises has to be approved, equipment calibrated, recipes approved, approved bond store, transportation...etc..etc...etc

I also spoke to them about the " making it for my mates and giving it to them "..... I was advised I should not even attempt to do this

If the OP can get away with it on the basis of it being given away then that is a good thing :) , but I would be talking to the ATO FIRST before going down that route and get clear clarification that you can present to OLGR

What security do you need to employ and what permits from police .

evildrakey said:
How, if I decide to setup a tent and give away about 20 corny kegs of beer and cider how legal is that.
It's unlicenced, I'm not charging in any way and am actually giving it away, serving it responsibly.
It appears the intended quantity of alcohol to be served moves beyond that of 100ml samples. I think a disappointing result is coming into range for this OP.

Maybe he could buy 6 temporary liquor licenses and give away pint samples!

Back