Questions About Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eyelusion

Reaction score
To start with I know these are basic questions.
But I am keeping a diary of all brewing, so I will learn quickly :)

The batch has been in the fermentor for 3 days and all signs of fermentation are complete.
(you can tell cause way less activity in airlock/foam gone down). Smells GREAT.
I haven't yet tested with my hydrometer (will do so later on today and check for a couple of days)
My question is if all is good with the FG should I bottle or should I wait longer.
It seems to have fermented quick. Was at a constant temp 18-20 the whole time.
Im only doing 1st fermentation ... then bottling.

Also I forgot to do a OG before putting yeast in. Anyone know what it would of been?

My recipe is as follows.

Morgans Stockmans Draught 1.7kg
Morgans unhopped extra pale malt extract 1.5kg
Hops Cascade pellets 24g standard (pellets in stocking, in cup of hot water for 10-15 min) thrown all in
Safale s-04 Ale

Thanks heaps :)

Hi Eyelusion,

The best thing you can do is depend on your hydrometer to tell you when it is finished. When you get the same reading over 3 consecutive days, then the yeast has finished its job and it is safe to bottle. The fermentation temperature seems to be fine for ales, so well done by not having it too high (bad tastes develop).

Not too sure on the OG reading, but would assume it might have been in the 1.040's, but you didn't say how much water you have in the fermenter, which would affect the result.

Could be worth your while looking at bulk priming in the articles section at the top of the page, tons of information to keep you busy and make you paranoid eventually!

Good luck with your brew, sounds like it will be a nice drop,

Crundle

I'm guessing you made it up to the 'standard' 23L, if so the brewcraft SG estimator (I have a standalone flash version if you want - quite handy in my kit days) says it comes out at about 1.046 with final SG approx 1.012. If you made it to 21L then it works out at 1.051 with final approx 1.013.

Hope that helps mate.
Three days is quite fast but it's not uncommon, you had a good temp so thats all good. If you wanted to condition it you can let is stand another week or so, just don't crack the lid so there is a protective CO2 layer over it.
You can also cold condition it at lower temps (in a fridge etc) to help clear and condition it further but this is not necessary.

Most of my ales usually sit in the primary (I rarely use secondary) for a few weeks with no harm, however it is wise to keep the temp at or lower than the fermentation temps were.

I'm guessing you made it up to the 'standard' 23L, if so the brewcraft SG estimator (I have a standalone flash version if you want - quite handy in my kit days) says it comes out at about 1.046 with final SG approx 1.012. If you made it to 21L then it works out at 1.051 with final approx 1.013.

Hope that helps mate.
Three days is quite fast but it's not uncommon, you had a good temp so thats all good. If you wanted to condition it you can let is stand another week or so, just don't crack the lid so there is a protective CO2 layer over it.
You can also cold condition it at lower temps (in a fridge etc) to help clear and condition it further but this is not necessary.

Most of my ales usually sit in the primary (I rarely use secondary) for a few weeks with no harm, however it is wise to keep the temp at or lower than the fermentation temps were.

Yeah it the standard 23L

And yeah I'd love to get a hold onto the brewcraft SG estimator standalone version :)

thanks for the quick replies guys :)

Even if I had fermented at 30 degrees I'd leave it longer than 3 days. I control all my ferments at ~20 degrees and usually leave for between 7-10 days.

If the hydrometer tells you it's finished then you can bottle it. However no harm in leaving it for a few more days, especially somewhere colder wich will help the yeast drop out and result in a clearer beer. Also I find even at the same gravity, my finished primaries always taste better after a few more days.

Latest posts

Back