Questions About Australia

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When living in Israel between 98 and 04, I carried anything from a 9mm pistol (SigSauer 226) to and M24 Sniper rifle, M16 or micro Uzi. As most of the population goes through military training and leans to respect guns, it was no biggie. I was involved in the military and security however. Either way, the gun laws there are theoretically strict. You cannot just go to a shop and buy a gun. You don't see people walking around waving guns , shooting into the air, or acting tough. They are bloody heavy and cumbersome. Even a pistol is a pain to carry around. You do it because you think you are cool, or necessity. Not 'just because'.

Crime there is not gun- related. Definitely not more than here. I have never heard of a bank being held up there. You don't get mugged either.

You could always spot the Amercan expats by the way they carried a gun...like some smart arse show- off. They were usually 40lb overweight, and had shiny 44mag Python revolvers on shoulder holsters (or two). Who uses a revolver against terrorists (the main reason for carrying weapons there)??

This made me laugh. Unfortunately, as a country, we have more than our share of idiots here in the US.

And any responsible gun owner here in the states will have their firearms locked up in some way or at the very least out of the reach of children. And there is no legal shooting inside towns(bb guns being the exception). If I was out plinking away at cans with a .22, the cops would be here lickety split putting cold steel around my wrists.

To get back on firearms around children, one guy posted earlier and said that an American buddy had a pic of his child sitting next to an AR-15 on his facebook. This is foolish. Not one person I know would do anything like this, whether the gun was loaded or unloaded. This kind of behaviour is the exception, not the norm. Defintely not a responsible gun owner.

In Israel the kids know that when someone comes in carrying an M16 for example (Ie brother coming home from army for weekend), the rifle is put behind the couch, on top of a shelf etc and they do not touch it. Of course the magazines are stored elsewhere, as it the bolt (if for more than just a visit), but they learn to respect it. Different culture.

Boys going army training (Ie high school cadets) used to carry home rifles on public transport (albeit sans bullets) and no-one went postal. Until the %&^& hits the fan, people will be against weapons here. Education and taking responsibilty is the key, not a virtual blanket ban for political points. I used to shoot here as well (not a hunter). I guess bullets simply got more dangerous.

When I went for my shooting test here (multiple choice), the cops actually 'helped' someone pass. Literally guided him through the solutions when he returned a failed grade (however that is possible). It really is true- blame the person and not the gun.

This made me laugh. Unfortunately, as a country, we have more than our share of idiots here in the US.

Despite the crap you see on the news, you even think of shooting a gun in the air, you'll be in prison before you can reload.
\
As for morons in the US, considering you have to wait till 21 to drink (losers), they shouldn't allow anyone to hold a gun. Might be too dangerous to your health.

R

What does one actually need a gun for in america? Why do people need to bear arms?

How many times a day/week/month do you personally fire a gun?

I can't think of a time that I have ever thought 'gee, I wish I brought my gun with me' or 'damn, this is the reason why we should be allowed to have guns at home'.

There was a news report back in the 90s one day. It flashed at the bottom of the tv during a talk show of some sort and it went something like 'don't go outside in the eastern side of town, there is a criminal on the loose, do not attempt to approach this person, police are dealing with the situation'. We went and locked the front and back door (which aren't locked during the day - only at night or when nobody is home) and just went back to watching the TV show. I didn't think 'shit, I wish I could bear arms and protect my family' - what I did think was 'gee, I'm glad this guy doesn't have a gun - the police will have this guy sorted out in no time'.

I have met several Americans before, through work, uni and living abroad. One of my uni lecturers (and later he became my boss) didn't like the fact that he wasn't allowed to buy and keep a gun at his home. Now this guy didn't live on a farm. He lived in a 3 bedroom house about a kilometer from the main street in Katoomba, Blue Mountains. What possible reason would he need a gun for?

In America we obviously have gun crime. Illegal guns are on the streets and they are used daily. I like having a gun in my house for protection against intruders. I have my 12 guage up in my closet loaded, all I need to do is pump it and its ready to go.

I wouldnt say that Americans "need" the right to bear arms, but its nice having. Have you been watching the news coming out of Syria? Military/police forces firing on unarmed demonstrators etc. Think that will ever happen in the US? Every gun owner would be out in force if it did. Our government knows this and acts accordingly. Could that sort of thing happen in Australia? Probably not. But what if it did? What recourse would you have? Do you trust your government that much?

I take my shotgun out on average about once a month. My brother and I will buy a case of clays and go out to our farm and toss em over the pond. BTW, there is never beer drinking involved :icon_cheers:

In Israel the kids know that when someone comes in carrying an M16 for example (Ie brother coming home from army for weekend), the rifle is put behind the couch, on top of a shelf etc and they do not touch it. Of course the magazines are stored elsewhere, as it the bolt (if for more than just a visit), but they learn to respect it. Different culture.

Boys going army training (Ie high school cadets) used to carry home rifles on public transport (albeit sans bullets) and no-one went postal. Until the %&^& hits the fan, people will be against weapons here. Education and taking responsibilty is the key, not a virtual blanket ban for political points. I used to shoot here as well (not a hunter). I guess bullets simply got more dangerous.

When I went for my shooting test here (multiple choice), the cops actually 'helped' someone pass. Literally guided him through the solutions when he returned a failed grade (however that is possible). It really is true- blame the person and not the gun.

That kind of how it was in my family. After a certain age and a long final lecture about the dangers, we were allowed complete access to his firearms (and he had plenty). All guns except his bedside .45 were unloaded. I once grabbed his 2nd .45 which I knew was unloaded and handed it to him without visually verifying that there wasnt a round in the chamber. I was sternly told to put it back, that I could touch his "damned firearms" when I knew how to handle them in a mature matter. It was months before I was allowed to handle a weapon around him. Lesson learned.

We also did somewhat regular times when we took the weapons out and cleaned them. Part of this was necessity on my dads part as he had disfiguring arthritis and couldnt do common household chores so we did it for him. But was also part of his ongoing firearms education to us kids.

Most of my gun owning friends learned about weapons in a similar way.

We may not have guns but we have dangerous shit down here too ....... Vegemite - Its been banned in Denmark.
We live on the edge every breakfast...
Cheers
BBB

Argh, there it is 'Guns dont kill people, people kill people'

Justification is a wonderful thing.....

If I killed someone by beating them to death with a hammer, did the hammer kill them or did I? I did, of course.

Why does this logic magically change if you switch out "hammer" for "firearm"?

We may not have guns but we have dangerous shit down here too ....... Vegemite - Its been banned in Denmark.
We live on the edge every breakfast...
Cheers
BBB

Is this vegemite like our V8? Vegetables thrown in a blender that is supposedly good to drink?

Here in the States we have "V8 Splash" now. They've thrown some fruits in there so it supposedly tastes better. Even more dangerous.

Argh, there it is 'Guns dont kill people, people kill people'

Justification is a wonderful thing.....

There have been studies that prove that there is no connection whatsoever between having a gun and shooting someone, and not having a gun and not shooting someone. Just ask Bill.

Last edited by a moderator:
has any one ever thought in the states that if not every one was able to posses a gun, then every one would not need a gun to protect themselves from everyone else who has guns? very backward way of thinking imo. i do enjoy shooting and guns and think australia has gone way over the top with gun control, but i also believe guns are not a right but rather a privilige. as to the argument that if you live in the city then you dont need a gun and shouldnt need to own one then what do you use when you go up bush to go hunting a couple of times a year? again it should come down to how responsible you are not what your postcode is.it has been made a way to emotional subject gun ownership and common sense seems to get thrown out the window way to easily on both sides of the argument in preferance to overly simplified statements.

How many booze related road deaths last year in Australia, should we buy back all hotels and cars? i do not keep firearms in my house, but after a recent triple murder 5 mins from my house i now wonder. The allegded killer used a shotgun to blow the windows out, to gain access to the house. He only stopped shooting when the police fired at him, you reckon he would have made it in the house if a blast from a shotgun came back at him? I think we have a happy medium with our laws in Australia, and would not like to see it loosen any.

Reards Tony

If I killed someone by beating them to death with a hammer, did the hammer kill them or did I? I did, of course.

Why does this logic magically change if you switch out "hammer" for "firearm"?

if some one was to try and kill me with a hammer id have a resonable chance of fighting back, maybe even taking the hammer off the assailant and using it back on him if i wanted. there is virtually no chance of this with a person holding a gun on you from ten feet away ready to kill. in either case yes it was the person holding the weapon that killed but the ease of wich the killing was achieved is worlds apart.

if some one was to try and kill me with a hammer id have a resonable chance of fighting back, maybe even taking the hammer off the assailant and using it back on him if i wanted. there is virtually no chance of this with a person holding a gun on you from ten feet away ready to kill. in either case yes it was the person holding the weapon that killed but the ease of wich the killing was achieved is worlds apart.

Good point. Which is why I prefer the option of having a concealed weapon on my person. I could then make the choice on whether to do what the person says, or draw my weapon and use it. I can guarantee that 99.5% of the time I WILL NOT be drawing my weapon.

Point is, criminals here have firearms. They seek them out and use them. I'll be damned if I'm not going to be armed so that I can have the option of defending myself.

If you dont understand the mindset then you dont understand. But that sure as hell doesnt mean that guns are "dangerous" or "threatening".

Fired one gun in my life - a 22 at a rifle range when I was a scout. Awesome fun.
Apart from that, a mate in school was a real Rambo fan, & he made heaps of wooden guns. I mean you know when someone's gun obsessed when he's made an M60 complete with ammo chain (made out of masking tape and matchsticks)! We used to run around his place making farting/machine gun noises, jumping up from the pool, M60-toting-Chuck-Norris style.
Apart from that, video games and a couple of games of Paintball, I don't think I'm missing out by not owning a gun. I have no need of one, as don't lots of people living in the city.

Kangaroos, once you get out of sydney you see them everywhere. Makes for a good game of spotto on road trips, how many types of roadkill you see, wombats, roos, foxes...

Alright, I'm done with the gun topic. I highly doubt that we're going to really agree on this issue.

Lets just chalk it up to a cultural difference between our two countries.

Tell me about your labor unions. Are they hardcore like they are here in America?

Tell me about your labor unions. Are they hardcore like they are here in America?

:lol: Mate, can you pick up all those worms and put em back into that nice can.

I thought you said you didn't want to talk politics?

:lol: Mate, can you pick up all those worms and put em back into that nice can.

I thought you said you didn't want to talk politics?

Haha, I'm going to take that as a "Yes, they are just like in the States"

Question answered.

And its not that I dont want to talk politics, I just dont want this friendly thread to turn into a flame-fest

Vegamite is a black spread that you put on toast or sandwiches. It is made from brewers yeast and is very salty. Similalr to Marmite. All Australian babies are fed it from birth :icon_cheers:

A Vegamite sandwich is a right of passage for any foreigner who visits here

Latest posts

Back