Question On Storing A Dark Ale & Where To Find Nelson Sauvin Rhizo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopbomber

Reaction score
Hi All, I have been reading plenty of your Posts as beer brewing and enjoying are now my new obsessions, i have two very different questions - firstly at what tempreture should i age/store a dark ale? it was a beer kit & dry hopped. secondly I have been trying to get my hands on a nelson sauvin hop rhizome with absolutely no luck.... anyone no where i could get one??? Cheers & thanks in advance.

A lot of these new hops will have plant breeders rights attached to the source material. Nelson Sauvin is owned by Plant and Food NZ (http://www.plantandfood.co.nz/page/our-research/breeding-genomics/key-crops/hops/) and it's likely they have exclusive agreements with hop farms in NZ. i.e. those farms need to protect that genetic material and the rhizomes will not be offered for sale to the general public. So I think you're probably out of luck on getting rhizomes unless someone has some that fell off a truck or a ship or something...

I just leave mine tucked away in a cupboard, and the house stays around 20deg during the day and prob down to a max of 15 at night on really cold nights.
I wouldn't recommend keeping them outside, in melb it gets so cold, dunno about where your from.

I recommend storing them (temporarily) at 37 deg C.

At that temp it will age in <2 hours given sufficient volume.

I crack myself up !!

<---------- Kit Master ?? WTF ???

A low stable temperature would be best for long term storage, like around ~10c, temp swings can cause oxidation problems and such; a cellar or cool room would be good.

Or you can do what I do and just keep them in a dark corner -_-

Hey Thanks All, Im from Melbourne - yes it gets freezing here but temp varies so much from day to night. i have read generally the colder the better to store beers, so I have been storing my dark ale keg in the fridge, but now concidering moving it to cupboard. anyone know when it would be best enjoyed? im thinking 3 week minimum.. Cheers

Stored at room temp, it can be enjoyed after 2 weeks imo. But beer improves with age for a certain time. For me it goes like this; Improvement (2 weeks - 2months), then average out (2-3Months), then turn to vinegar (6months to 1 year roughly).

This is just me, I've never had a beer longer then 3 Months that I've made, so the last statement is just what I've read.

By vinegar do you mean "not as good" or "taking on some properties of vinegar"?

Beer turns to vinegar if it's been infected with acetobacter. Doesn't need 6+ months to happen. All it needs is a fruit fly and some oxygen.

I mean fully, crack it open and toss it into a salad!

No. Like i said, "so the last statement is just what I've read." I don't doubt your opinions, i would take them over this other source.

Back