Question On Lemonade

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drfad

Reaction score
Hi all,

I put down a hard lemonade on 10 March and am wondering if it is ever going to stop fermenting!
Recipe was"
zest and pulp from 15 large lemons boiled with
2kg raw sugar
500g lactose,
1 lime and
40g ginger.
Used US05 but had to pitch a Coopers kit yeast starter after 5 days as ferment hadn't started. Staring gravity was 1044 and now, 4 weeks later is at 1010. I don't want bottle bombs but I don't want to lose it for leaving it in the fermenter for ever either.
I taste every sample I draw off for readings and it is tasting a little winey, which is not really what I was expecting.

Can anyone assist with what I can expect for a final gravity? Will it hurt if I just leave it? Should I do another starter to finish it off?

Hi
Had a similar thing happen to a Apple cider, i had to pitch a second yeast as nothing started.
I have read that leaving so much dead yeast at the bottom of anything is bad.
I had to chuck mine as it was a really bad champagne...yuck.

Hope you have better luck.

Hi
Had a similar thing happen to a Apple cider, i had to pitch a second yeast as nothing started.
I have read that leaving so much dead yeast at the bottom of anything is bad.
I had to chuck mine as it was a really bad champagne...yuck.

Hope you have better luck.

Hmmm, doesn't bode well. Can anyone else help?

What temp are you fermenting at? Did you add any yeast nutrient or anything?

It wouldnt suprise me if it fermented pretty low, but i've never tried lemonade before, so i'm only guessing. I'd say that adding a bit of yeast nutrient could possibly help, as could raising ferment temp (obviously depending on what temp it currently is at).

What temp are you fermenting at? Did you add any yeast nutrient or anything?

It wouldnt suprise me if it fermented pretty low, but i've never tried lemonade before, so i'm only guessing. I'd say that adding a bit of yeast nutrient could possibly help, as could raising ferment temp (obviously depending on what temp it currently is at).

Ferment started at about 25C but down to prob 18 now due to Canberra becoming Arctic. Have put some hot water bottles next to it with a blanket but no real movement. No nutrient to put in it.

Back