Quality of disconnects.. do I need new ones..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grainer

The pursuit of Utopia
Reaction score
So I have 4 Keg King disconnects and all of them leak from the bottom and sides (looks like it doesn't seal correctly??? (not the top) when hooked up to the kegs.. this has to be in a certain position and not moved otherwise a slight bit of pressure either way and they all leak.. LOST about 2L of brew before I realised this was happening..... I also have 1 x Grain and grape disconnect.. that does not leak on the kegs.. so the question is do I need to go out and buy al my disconnects from Grain and Grape..

All the popets and O rings are all new and greased.. so they are not the problem..(also the G&G works on them)

The 2 types are below. Keg King left .. Grain and Grape right..

Grainer

Anyone else have these issues

1111.jpg

111.jpg

The best ones to use a the CM Becker , stay away from the Chinese ones they are rubbish

Checked and all the gas ones leak as well

Where do you get the CMBs?...Found them at Brewmart !

My observations:
I sell both , and the cheap ones (mine) work with the right thickness post O rings. I use them mostly on my gear with out leaks.
There are a heap of different cheap connects out there some are ok others are rubbish.
The genuine Cornelius ones are by far the top of the range but priced accordingly.
Nev

Hey Nev,

Do you keep any replacement rubber seals for the "stainless-pin" in the Cornelius disconnects? (I've got one with a small leak that has always made a mess when it's disconnected from the keg)

Ta.

alcoadam said:
Hey Nev,

Do you keep any replacement rubber seals for the "stainless-pin" in the Cornelius disconnects? (I've got one with a small leak that has always made a mess when it's disconnected from the keg)

Ta.
I will take a look and test tomorrow and PM you.
It may be the housing and not the O ring, have a good look and check both.

I might try stretching that spring as well...

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

Grainer said:
So I have 4 Keg King disconnects and all of them leak from the bottom and sides (looks like it doesn't seal correctly??? (not the top) when hooked up to the kegs.. this has to be in a certain position and not moved otherwise a slight bit of pressure either way and they all leak.. LOST about 2L of brew before I realised this was happening..... I also have 1 x Grain and grape disconnect.. that does not leak on the kegs.. so the question is do I need to go out and buy al my disconnects from Grain and Grape..

All the popets and O rings are all new and greased.. so they are not the problem..(also the G&G works on them)

Grainer

The genuine Cornelius disconnects are far superior in every way.
Much more expensive but to be honest, you really get what you pay for.
Bite the bullet, ditch the cheapies & get the quality Cornelius ones, you certainly won't have any further issues & it's money well spent.

alcoadam said:
I might try stretching that spring as well...

Cheers! :icon_cheers:
Just had ago at one of mine that has been in place for about 9 years and started to hiss gas.
Tried an new O ring , didnt work as its a different profile.
I took the old seal and cleaned it with a cotton bud, black stuff came off so I am thinking the 45C shed conditions over its life haven't done it any favours.
So I cleaned that and the housing applied some silicon keg lube to both bits and, no leaks , apparently just dry which didnt allow it to seat.
Here is my out there fix it if all else fails, get some seal repair like used on power steering units on car, soak that seal in it overnight, next day rinse the hell out of it so no chem is left on there and you should see no leaks.
The stuff is seal repair magic.Caveat- if you grow an extra tonsil don't sue its only an idea !
Let me know if it works.
Nev

Grainer said:

Grainer

The KK disconnects are $6.95 (less for cash) for a reason.
Buy quality ones.

I've used both the cheap Chinese ones from KK as well as the more expensive ones from G&G.

While I like the price of the cheaper ones - $8 at KK v about $25 with the John Guest fittings at G&G - the quality can't be compared and I'd never buy the cheap ones again.

The cheap ones would leak if not put on in exactly the right way. If the cheap ones were ever bumped, they'd leak. They were hard to put on. They (slowly) flooded my kitchen with beer and cost me 1/2 a bottle of gas.

I love KK, but I hate the cheap disconnects.

Do yourself a favour and, as Crusty says, bite the bullet and buy the quality Cornelius brand ones with genuine JG fittings.

Gryphon Brewing said:
The genuine Cornelius ones are by far the top of the range but priced accordingly.
Nev
Where can you get genuine Cornelius ones? Are these the ones with CMB on the side?

thedragon said:
I've used both the cheap Chinese ones from KK as well as the more expensive ones from G&G.

While I like the price of the cheaper ones - $8 at KK v about $25 with the John Guest fittings at G&G - the quality can't be compared and I'd never buy the cheap ones again.

The cheap ones would leak if not put on in exactly the right way. If the cheap ones were ever bumped, they'd leak. They were hard to put on. They (slowly) flooded my kitchen with beer and cost me 1/2 a bottle of gas.

I love KK, but I hate the cheap disconnects.

Do yourself a favour and, as Crusty says, bite the bullet and buy the quality Cornelius brand ones with genuine JG fittings.
I second this. The kk ones may be cheaper but you have to weight up what you will spend on gas and beer with them leaking.
Good quality gear pays for itsel over time.

Had the same problem. Went to bunnings picked up some cheap O-rings that were a bit thicker. Problem solved.

What a timely thread. After two bottles of gas gone I have cracked it and am going to buy the Cornelius ones at g and g this weekend... 50 bucks worth of gas certainly justifies the hefty price.

Gryphon Brewing said:
Just had ago at one of mine that has been in place for about 9 years and started to hiss gas.
Tried an new O ring , didnt work as its a different profile.
I took the old seal and cleaned it with a cotton bud, black stuff came off so I am thinking the 45C shed conditions over its life haven't done it any favours.
So I cleaned that and the housing applied some silicon keg lube to both bits and, no leaks , apparently just dry which didnt allow it to seat.
Here is my out there fix it if all else fails, get some seal repair like used on power steering units on car, soak that seal in it overnight, next day rinse the hell out of it so no chem is left on there and you should see no leaks.
The stuff is seal repair magic.Caveat- if you grow an extra tonsil don't sue its only an idea !
Let me know if it works.
Nev
They are brand new o-ring seals..so I don't think thats the issue

Just want to add my voice to the chorus.

Yes countless litres of lost beer and more time fiddling and cleaning cheap disconnects than I care to recall. The no name John Guest fittings are shit too IMO. Keg plumbing gives me the shits actually - The inside of the freezer looks like a Doctor Who set.

SmallFry said:
Where can you get genuine Cornelius ones? Are these the ones with CMB on the side?
No but the CMB disconnects are quality as well, I'm slowly swapping out my cheap disconnects with them, my cheap ones don't leak they are just a pain in the ass to get on and off the kegs.

Latest posts

Back