Quality of disconnects.. do I need new ones..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been there too and ended up taking them back to KK. Did some tests at KK with them and proved that they all leaked. They had some white gas QDs and these seemed to be better and we couldnt get them to leak.

I ended up buying a gas and liquid CMB brand QD on ebay for $19.50 with free postage. Seem to be as good as the genuine cornelius ones.

Im currently swapping all my KK QDs for these ones as the brewing budget permits.

Unfortunately KK didnt stop selling the crappy grey ones when I last checked so there is going to be a lot of gasless brewers around

Heres the link

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PAIR-OF-CORNELIUS-BALL-LOCK-KEG-DISCONNECTS-FOR-BREWING-BEER-KEGGING-KEGS-/291057677774?pt=AU_Barware&hash=item43c463b5ce#ht_873wt_867

Ive just bought 4 sets from KK but havent set mine up yet...Should I refund them with better quality ones?

mattyg8 said:
Ive just bought 4 sets from KK but havent set mine up yet...Should I refund them with better quality ones?
Yes you should. If they are the grey ones take them back and tell them they leak. Or maybe test one first. Sometimes they only leak if you twist them sideways slightly but thats not good if when you close your fridge door the beer line pulls on the QD and your gas leaks out.

Grainer said:
They are brand new o-ring seals..so I don't think thats the issue
Just to be clear I was talking about the seal on the center pins of the disco's not the keg posts.
The cheap disco's have a plastic center pin the Cornelius have stainless steel, another reason for the price difference.
Nev

Truman said:
Yes you should. If they are the grey ones take them back and tell them they leak. Or maybe test one first. Sometimes they only leak if you twist them sideways slightly but thats not good if when you close your fridge door the beer line pulls on the QD and your gas leaks out.
Ah yes they are the black and grey ones...I may have to pop in and refund them

timely thread...I picked up three kegs without posts a little while back and am just about to service them and bring them into rotation...I need to buy a couple of sets of disconnects and will look to the genuine cornelius branded ones. Any differences in the quality of ball-lock posts on the market as I need these too and again there is a wide range in prices these can be bought for??

I lost a gas bottle and about 5L of beer about 3 weeks ago due to the cheap, shithouse keg king disconnects. Avoid them at all costs.

I have found the posts on Keg King kegs are slightly oversize as I have had a lot of trouble attaching non Keg King disconnects to them.
By this reasoning maybe the disconnects are oversize as well to fit their kegs, making them just that little bit too big for regular cornys.

my 2c, avoid any supplier that is happy to sell the cheap Chinese ones. IMHO a CO2 bottle or two lost will piss you off and eventually you will buy the better quality ones. The cost to go straight to good ones (CMB or Perlick) is a lot cheaper than buying the crap ones, then refilling bottles due to lost gas, then buying the good ones. Not to mention the dramas you never needed to have. Some of my CMB are over 10 years old and still going strong.

I didn't know there was a difference, I've only ever seen plastic ones.

Is it the same for pin-lock connectors?
I know I only have to bump mine to loose gas.

Where do I buy quality ones?

As someone said above, I think the grey KK disconnects seem to work well on the KK posts (generally), but are a pain in the ass with other posts. I too lost 2 x 2.6kg bottles of gas and a soda stream bottle..

If you punch it into the search there are a few other threads on this same topic.

Any money saved on the cheap disconnects, I spent on refilling gas bottles.. will be buying the legit QD's from now on.

Al

The good quality ones I got from G&G were these ($16.95 each)

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/products/category/RIECYHUL%20hoses-and-fittings/7KEG+DISC+GAS+TH
http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/products/category/RIECYHUL%20hoses-and-fittings/7KEG+DISC+LIQ+TH

Coupled with a genuine John Guest fitting ($6.95 each, check with G&G first that the JG fitting linked is the right one):

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/products/category/RIECYHUL%20hoses-and-fittings/7JOHN+GUEST+FEM+DISC+AD

They're not cheap, but unlike the cheap $8 Chinese ones, they work. And they won't cost you a bottle of gas. And they won't flood your kitchen with beer and cause an argument with your wife.

QldKev said:
my 2c, avoid any supplier that is happy to sell the cheap Chinese ones.
I second this. I got a triple tap kegerator from Pinnacle in December. First, the regulator wouldn't thread to my CO2 cylinder -- shoddy machining on the threads. Sent it back, Pinnacle sent out a replacement, same problem (worse than the first one, in fact). So I bought a quality Micromatic reg from Anthony at Craftbrewer. Then it turns out the quick disconnects that Pinnacle provided leak unless situated perfectly, despite new o-rings -- same problem as the OP in this thread. Bloody rubbish. Off to order six QDs from CB now.

Serves me right being cheap the first go-round, instead of going straight to G&G, CB or another quality retailer.

Latest posts

Back