QldKev's New Biab With Internal Rims

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Moads, how does the keg go with the top off like you've done?? Solid?

I did the same, it makes it real easy to clean. The only thing I need to do is cut out a piece of stainless plate to go over the top and cut out a whole in that the same size as the lid from the 20L Big W pot for a decent top

It is solid as, absolutely no concerns about that. It just makes it harder to make a lid/cover but worth it for ease of cleaning/moving etc

Cut the keg from the side, right on the bottom edge of the weld where the crown joins the keg body. That way you can plug the hole in the top and use it as a lid. I got a couple of handles welded onto the keg and also some lugs on the crown/lid so it cant fall off.

My rig is finally fully operational. Recirc valves installed instead of just hanging silicone hose over the side.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1432705798.253620.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1432705826.185588.jpg

Picked up my 'malt pipe' yesterday after having some mods made to it. I might have to slap a picture or two up..

Dazzbrew said:
would these screens work ok as a false bottom in a kettle, are they fine enough mesh to filter trub?
I use one of those screens as a filter for in my big w 19l malt basket. works well, if anything it's a touch on the too fine side but it does the job
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1433026486.647225.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1433026499.086947.jpg

100L pot with legs and 250mm hole in the base for bottom drain and removable false bottom. If I find the bottom drain to cause too much channeling I can just drill some more holes on the base of the pot.

1433027463899.jpg

1433027473823.jpg

Hm, feeling a bit brain dead today. But why the lower recirculation entry point?

I think it is so there is always wort flow over the element to avoid scorching.

crowmanz said:
I think it is so there is always wort flow over the element to avoid scorching.
Ah of course, hence no overflow on the malt pipes. Knew i was feeling brain dead today.

Hi, Couple questions re a 1 Vessel build, hope this is an ok spot, happy to shift to new thread if deemed.

on the malt pipe, if i put a "lid" on it to contain the grain, is the height of the lid determined by the size of the bill? ie just put the grain in then the lid on top accordingly? also does it need an overflow pipe? or can it just overflow outside the malt pipe if it can't flow through the gran quick enough?

on the Kettle, if if use a keggle, any opinions on centre or side draining? I'm quite keen on the upside down keg and using triclover fitting to use its natural draining ability?

cheers

printed forms section said:
also does it need an overflow pipe? or can it just overflow outside the malt pipe if it can't flow through the gran quick enough?
Mine (see photos above), is like QLDKev's and has an inlet that aims straight at the element. That way if a stuck mash does occur there is still ample flow through the system and it hopefully minimises scorching. Can't help with the other bits I'll let somewhere better qualified answer those.

Hey,

I`m finally looking to build something like this now (doing a parts list), my one question is:

How do you guys sparge? Have some pre-heated water and just pour it over the grain bed when its draining?

Or do you just add all the required water and let it run and just lift the grain out when done???

Cheers.

marksy.

marksy said:
Hey,

I`m finally looking to build something like this now (doing a parts list), my one question is:

How do you guys sparge? Have some pre-heated water and just pour it over the grain bed when its draining?

Or do you just add all the required water and let it run and just lift the grain out when done???

Cheers.

marksy.
At the moment I just no sparge, lift the bag and let it drain, when it slows I put it in a bucket in a bucket made from bunnings handy pails until maybe mid boil. Then I take out the bag for cleaning and carefully drain the bucket into the boil.

I take the pot out and sit it on an oven rack. I let it drain will bringing it to the boil if I don't have the volume I need I pour water heated or room temperature over and tamp down on the grain with a flat pot lid

1437271086403.jpg

Latest posts

Back