QldKev's New Biab With Internal Rims

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have the welding skills to put pegs in the pot wall. I'm just going to hang it from the beam above in the shed. I like how yours sits a the right height to show the correct wort level etc. Not sure what I'm going to do about measuring wort levels. I don't have a sight glass. I think I'll make up a measuring stick of some sort. Suggestions?

Here's my flash measurements. I've only drawn back gone over them once in 2 years. I was going to make something more bling, but it wont make better beer.

marking_zps447f56ed.jpg

also check out this thread on etching

I think I might do the same as you. I'm still learning about all-grain. I was going to no-chill in a cube. I have a 17.5 Litre cube already. Should I use it, then add 5 litres of water when I put it into the fermenter. Or just go and buy a 20 Litre or 25Litre Cube?

If it was me I would get the correct size cube for your batches. But a lot of people on ere do higher gravity boils and water it down.

Hey Kev,

Got alot of stuff sorted now, looking at fittings for the return arms.

I'm thinking I'll need a ball valve top and bottom, what did you use to connect them up.

I'm going cam locks as you suggested, they look easy. All stainless so far so would be great to continue with that

Edit, will run a camlock male at the bottom of the return into a tee piece. Do I just need some pipe and compression fittings up to the top one into an elbow?

I have used silicone tube with bsp male swivels that have a hose barb. The only cam locks I have are on the pump.

Moad said:
Hey Kev,

Got alot of stuff sorted now, looking at fittings for the return arms.

I'm thinking I'll need a ball valve top and bottom, what did you use to connect them up.

I'm going cam locks as you suggested, they look easy. All stainless so far so would be great to continue with that

Edit, will run a camlock male at the bottom of the return into a tee piece. Do I just need some pipe and compression fittings up to the top one into an elbow?

Check out pugwash's for the way he done his plumbing looks very neat. Only difference I would do is have camlocks on the hoses that go down to the pump so they can be removed for cleaning and storage.

Yeah looks similar to what I was thinking but what is linking the top and bottom ball valves? From the elbow to the T and from the T to the bottom elbow?

Are the just threaded pipe lengths?

Cheers

Yeah. Just threaded pipe, about 2inchs long. You have to get the right length so it is not too long or too short. It is a bit of stuffing around.

Mine is a slightly different setup with the ball valves sticking out from the pot and the pump feed coming in from the bottom, I used a chunk of silicone hose between the top and bottom valves. Mine was built from a mis-match of hose fittings that I had laying around. The top is just a hose fitting and the bottom has a threaded T with a hose tail. With the ball valves sticking out they take a bit more space up, but the top one is pretty handy to pick the pot up from.

1V_zps12f9b39a.jpg

Actually this pic from my first brew day on it is probably better for the plumbing.

post-1225-1350699393.jpg

I had a foam camp mattress that I was going to use. However, I saw this stuff at Bunnings and thought I give it a go. http://www.bunnings.com.au/ideal-diy-floors-900mm-black-anti-fatigue-rib-foam-matting-roll-_p6610195 I thought is would be a bit neater and more durable. More expense, but what the heck, I already blew my budget. Also thought about using rubber backed carpet. I was worried that the foam would melt. So did an underlay of a $5 cotton towel. Did my first brew in it a couple of days ago. No signs of melting and some of the foam was in contact with the pipe and valve. Left in on during the boil. You might be able to get away with just the foam but I like that the towel provided more insulation.

This looks really good QLD Kev. I have some controllers on order from Lael and I think I might go down this path for the build.

For the people who have made one, do you guys sparge? and if so how do you go about it?

I`m thinking the the malt pipe returning, adding a tube for sparging, that I can lift the malt pipe out and rinse that way.

The cam locks look great, what do you guys think about quick disconnects?

marksy.

thanks fellas

Pug - where did you get that threaded pipe from?

edit - marksy I used the stainless QD's from onlinebrewingstore in the past and they were great. I'm going camlocks this time because they are cheaper and look to be a popular choice

Sorry another question - I am hoping to get away with weldless... I can't find any stainless full threaded pipe to cut to size.

Do I just get a nipple and a nut with a washer and have the hex piece on the outside of the vessel?

marksy said:
This looks really good QLD Kev. I have some controllers on order from Lael and I think I might go down this path for the build.

For the people who have made one, do you guys sparge? and if so how do you go about it?

I`m thinking the the malt pipe returning, adding a tube for sparging, that I can lift the malt pipe out and rinse that way.

The cam locks look great, what do you guys think about quick disconnects?

marksy.

I started with disconnects, but they started leaking etc after a year or so. So I've gone with cam locks and haven't had issues.

Check out , I bucket sparge 2/3 the way into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick replies every body.

Cam locks seem to be the way to go.

Thanks for the link Kev, I just realized I had the video open in another tab ready to watch. ha-ha. Looking now.

Cheers

marksy

Back