Qldkev 3v Brew Day Number 3

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QldKev

Brew Dude
Reaction score
I fired up the 3V system for it's third run today, made a Boddingtons, getting ready for the upcoming winter.

Initial water level was a few litres short, so I needed to add a bit extra from the HLT

Plenty of good recirc happening, march pump running with both valves opened fully (I did add water to cover the outlets)
17032012942.jpg

HLT and MashTun nice and warm in their skins.
17032012944.jpg
17032012945.jpg

Nice clear wort 15min into the mash
17032012946.jpg

I've had a problem with the internal RIMS, and too much flour getting stuck on it causing the internal boil dry protection to cut in. Today I removed the bottom from the housing to allow it to breath better, crushed at 1.0mm, and recirc'd for 10min before switching on the heating element. Still got some shit stuck to it, but a lot better than it has been. Still cut out a bit from the boil dry protection.
17032012950.jpg

A nice whirlpool, and a drained mash tun. YUM!
17032012949.jpg

Overall a good day. 74.6% pre boil efficiency. Brew day took nearly 6 hours, but that does include equipment setup, playing in Beersmith to finalise the recipie/brew sheet and crushing grain, through to all cubed up. A bit longer than it took my with BIAG, but I have been a BIAG'er from a while, and hopefully with a couple more tweaks I will get this time down a bit.

Next brew I may try Nev's new hermit setup for the HERMS, see if the ramping times are reduced without the internal RIMS cutting out so much.

QldKev

Nice one, I'm so jealous of that cone formation.

I fired up the 3V system for it's third run today, made a Boddingtons, getting ready for the upcoming winter.

Initial water level was a few litres short, so I needed to add a bit extra from the HLT

Plenty of good recirc happening, march pump running with both valves opened fully (I did add water to cover the outlets)
View attachment 53127

View attachment 53128
View attachment 53129

View attachment 53130

I've had a problem with the internal RIMS, and too much flour getting stuck on it causing the internal boil dry protection to cut in. Today I removed the bottom from the housing to allow it to breath better, crushed at 1.0mm, and recirc'd for 10min before switching on the heating element. Still got some shit stuck to it, but a lot better than it has been. Still cut out a bit from the boil dry protection.
View attachment 53131

View attachment 53132

Overall a good day. 74.6% pre boil efficiency. Brew day took nearly 6 hours, but that does include equipment setup, playing in Beersmith to finalise the recipie/brew sheet and crushing grain, through to all cubed up. A bit longer than it took my with BIAG, but I have been a BIAG'er from a while, and hopefully with a couple more tweaks I will get this time down a bit.

Next brew I may try Nev's new hermit setup for the HERMS, see if the ramping times are reduced without the internal RIMS cutting out so much.

QldKev
Have you given the pillow case back? Very nice tidy bit of trub there Kev.
Let us know how Nev's dou-whacky goes with the ramping, its an interesting bit of kit.

that is some clear wort there Kev! Nice one.

View attachment 53127

View attachment 53128
View attachment 53129

View attachment 53130

View attachment 53131

View attachment 53132

QldKev

Nice cone formation. How do you get it so good? I have failed dismally on every attempt ( 5 BIAB's so far )

Back